superchip73

Dec 13, 2003
Hi, I just had my sons 2003 KX85 cylinder re-nickeled and ported, but when I put it on the bike, the pipe didn't fit in the flange. I found out that the 2001 KX85 used a differant pipe w/smaller flange, I think the pro-shop gave me back a 2001 cylinder. I called the shop that did the work and was told that there is no differance between the 01 and 03 cylinder. I have 2 pipes and hate the thought of cutting down the flanges to fit a 01 cylinder that mite not be as good as the 03 cylinder.

Could someone tell me if there are any other differances between a 01 and 03 cylinder (port design, performance, ect.).

Thanks

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I think 2001 was the first year of the redesigned "85" cylinder. It has a larger exhaust port among other changes, and is generally considered a superior design to the older one. If I remember right, the cylinders are interchangeable other than the exhaust pipe. Regarding your situation, sounds fishy to me, I would for sure confront them with the situation, if needed physically show them how the pipe doesn't fit and demand that they rectify the situation.

Matdog

Nov 10, 2001
Yes that is a 01 cylinder. The 02 and newer cylinders exhaust pipe hole is about 30 thousands larger which helped performance alot. Alot of pipe companies didn't make new pipes for the 02 and newer until this year. Any how you want the new cylinder as it is superior.

Top Bottom