Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
I've decided on the WR250F as my next bike and the dealers here have a few '01's left over and they are rebated pretty good. The price difference is approximately $600 CDN, so whadya guys think......'01 or '02? I've read that the hot start has been revised as well as a few other things to make starting easier, but is all this worth $600? Or, from a different angle, is it better to get an '01 with a few extra parts (bars, bark busters, and skid plate) for the same price as the '02? I'm having a hard time deciding so any opinions will help. Cheers,

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
from what i understand Squidster, they haven't changed all that much. there was some starting issues with the '01, but once they are jetted correctly and are run in, they start great. it seems to be a bit of a myth that has grown.
if it was me, i would probaly take the '01 model and spend the extra dosh on bits, but.............
early model WR/YZF's did like to snap cranks, and i think Yamaha has worked on that problem for 2002, but they won't say it of course.
the busted cranks did happen on the first batch and usally happened with only a few hundred kays, so i guess it's the luck of the draw when you buy one.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I just bought a left over 01 wr250f from Canada. It starts eeeeeeasy. hot, cold, crashed, whenever ( yes I crashed already). Initially I had to give it a squirt of gas before my starting kick to get it to start, until I turned out the fuel screw 2 turs. Now it fires up every time. I bought mine 3 weeks ago and found the diference in price to be $900 CDN. I used the mnoney I saved to get pro taper, and mounts, a skid plate and an E series pipe (this bikes rips withthis pipe check my post in the product reviews.). Good luck which ever way you go.

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Thanks scar tissue. Looks like you were in the same boat that I am in now. With all the information and help on this and other Thumper boards, I'm sure my new ride will start no problem, be it an '01 or '02.

Cheers,

BUCKWHEAT

Nov 14, 1999
Word is the 2002 models are experiencing crank failures as well. Yamaha needs to lower the redline I think. 13,500 is a little more than the crank can handle I'm afraid.

Thump on!

BikeDstroyer

Jun 30, 2001
I am curious to know if the crank failures are only happening on WR's that are raced or YZF's that have a flywheel weight added. I have noticed that most of the failures are on WR's. Maybe the extra weight in the flywheel is too much??? Any suggestions or thoughts. Even though my crank broke I really have been liking this bike. I would like to get a YZF next year.

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Bikedestroyer.....did Yamaha replace your crank under some sort of warranty (even tho there is no warranty on competition style bikes)? I think I read somewhere that a lot of the broken crank bikes had the big bore kits in them. Did yours?

Top Bottom