mxmat809

Feb 28, 2002
What's up guys? I have an 02 RM 250 that I'm trying to get dialed in. I was wondering what you guys are running for suspension settings. I'm 5' 10", 160 lb., 250 B rider. If anyone has the test from dirt rider magazine could you give me an idea of what they are running? Thanks for the help!!

Marklx

May 24, 2001
mxmat,

I've got all the tests stashed away somewhere. I'll try to find 'em today and post what they were doing. If memory is worth anything, they all went much firmer on compression, and less rebound. I'll post what I find, though. After lots of fiddling, I ended up with just about stock settings from the manual, maybe a click or so extra compression front and rear. But then, I"m pretty slow and like it a little soft.

Mark

mxmat809

Feb 28, 2002
Thanks Mark, I would appreciate that. I went up two clicks on the compression both front and back and it seemed to make a difference.

This came from a friend of mine, and it may sound confusing but it makes sense so bare with me..........I told him that my suspension felt stiff and that I was feeling every little bump, yet it bottomed on big hits. He told me to bump up my compression. I would think that it would have helped with the big hits but make the choppy sections even rougher, but it actually made everything better! He said the reason for this is because when the suspension is to soft it sags down into the stroke more, and the further down it sags the stiffer it gets, so by bumping up the compression it really gave me more travel, and the first part of the travel is the softest, which soaks up the choppy stuff.

Does all this make sense to you guys, because I was lost! But like I said it worked so I guess that's all that matters. Now if I could just figure out that rebound stuff.........................

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Mxmat,

Your experience is EXACTLY what i went thru. It felt choppy, so I kept backing off compression, but bottoming and getting squirrely at speed. So went back to stock settings (thanks to input from the Fineline folks out at Sunrise MX), and sure enough, the high speed control was back, and the bike was riding in the first few inches of travel. Haven't touched it since, and happy.

Finally found the Dirt Rider issue with the 250 comparo, and here are the #'s: Shock low speed compression, 8-11 clicks out. High speed compression, 1.5 turns out. Fork compression, stock 5 clicks out. Rebound stock 11-13 out. They were using stock springs, and weights of the riders ranged from 150-190. Somewhere else is the Dirt Bike mag test with their #'s, but I didn't dig it up yet.

So Mat, what oil, jetting, mixture you running. I'm still at a loss on dialing that in, and wondering what you've had luck with. I'm in SoCal running sea level to 3000 feet.

Mark

mxmat809

Feb 28, 2002
Mark-

You don'w want to run the jetting that I'm running. It's like 26 degrees here! I'm just running stock, because it's so cold. The jetting the I was told to run and what Suzuki factory race support runs is:

Air Screw: 1.5
Pilot: 48
Needle: N8RH
Clip:

mxmat809

Feb 28, 2002
Mark-

You don'w want to run the jetting that I'm running. It's like 26 degrees here! I'm just running stock, because it's so cold. The jetting the I was told to run and what Suzuki factory race support runs is:

Air Screw: 1.5
Pilot: 48
Needle: N8RH
Clip: 3rd
Main: 168 (170 stock)
Power Jet: 50 (45 stock)

Hope this helps!

Top Bottom