Apr 6, 2004
I have an rm 85 that was running fine and it just quit like it had fouled a plug. I have bought and tried 2 new plugs with no luck. I have checked the carburetor jets, float height, reeds, power valve and compression (180psi). The plug has spark but I have heard of the cdi or stator going out but it will produce a spark just not strong enough to start the bike.
Any suggestions?

Todd Derossett

Brad70

Aug 28, 2004
Im having kinda the same problem with my 98 rm 125 except I found out that my problem was my bike sheared the flywheel key and advanced the timing so much it would not run and was causing detonation (or whatever its called). You might want to check out your coil and cdi like said. Your problem sounds like its mainly in the electrical system.
Bradley

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
A long shot but did you make sure the plug was the right heat range? I had a buddy who had the exact same problem and after much aggravation he discovered that the new plugs the dealership gave him were too cold a plug. Put in the right heat range and it fired first kick.

Apr 6, 2004
After working on the bike for 3-days I had given up and was going to cut my grass. I fuled the lawnmower up and it quit just like the motorcycle. I didn't think too much about it until I borrowed my neighbors lawnmower and filled it up with gas and it wouldn't run. The it hit me! I purchased bad gas from the station. Well I drained the gas and bough new fuel and after about 10 kicks it fired right up. I guess next time to check the simpliest thing first. Thanks for the suggestions!

Todd

Top Bottom