jalbert

Jul 20, 2001
i have bought and raced a ktm 250 exc every year since 98. i race in the pro class at local harescrambles and in the a250 class at the gncc races. im upset the exc didnt get the make over like the sx(2003 bikes.) i was wondering what you think of converting the sx (18in wheel,flywheel,gaurds,revalve,tank,ect) for pro level offroad racing? new frame,engine plastic looks real good! or just get the 03 exc (same ol same ol) :think:

DEGBERT

Jan 30, 2001
I would go with the 250SX. It's got a new, more upright motor and frame for better handling ( it's something to do with CG and crank location) and 18 mm offset forks, plus the new motor and frame are supossed to make the new 250SX the lightest KTM 250SX yet. The SX's are a little cheaper than the EXC's so you could take the difference and put it back into the SX. If I get a new 03 this year it will be a 200 or 250SX and then convert it to a hare scramble/GNCC bike with suspension mods, flywheel weight, barkbusters, tall seat/big tank. As an A rider you should be able to handle the 250SX better anyway.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
this ocurred to me too, but i wonder about the close-ratio gearbox--every now & then, it's nice to have the extra top speed.

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
The voice of dissention speaks up. I believe you are all offbase here. The EXC250 is an incredibly capable, no hype, fast, proven, and reliable machine. It is ready for the ISDE, a GNCC, or a trail ride for the beginner right off the showroom floor. It doesn't need to be tricked out. The only things missing are handguards (MX or Barkbusters), a steering dampner, and Michelin MS-12 with bib mousse tubes.

ktmdad

Feb 29, 2000
It isn't that difficult to change the internal gearing to meet what
your looking for. Just by the exc gears you need and install them in the sx tranny.

I was looking at the SXS part prices in the DirtRider article on the converted 300exc/mxc to a 300sx. The prices on the wheels were very reasonable.

You may want to talk with the guys at Enduro Engineering about your ideas before deciding which bike to get. They do Lafferty's bikes.

RBW

Jun 16, 2000
Perhaps there is a reason the EXC didn't get the updates.The updates were to make the SX a better motocross/supercross bike.These features might not be an improvement for an enduro bike.Thats what I've allways liked about KTM.They recognize the difference the two riding styles.

Rob

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
well, don't get me wrong, i've had 3 ktm 250 enduro bikes (& numerous other ktms). i'd buy the exc, i just figured when i read about the changes for '03 that there'd be some guys who wanted the '03 sx instead. as for me, i'll keep flogging my trusty 200 until the word gets out on the '03s (eg what about that new fork?).

Top Bottom