450BigE

Jan 25, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm kind of stuck thinking of offing my 03yz450 to score a crf450 maybe o4-06 Ive only had my yz a little over may have ridden it about 5 times. I know I'm probably beating a dead horse but, I guess my question would be, is the honda really that much better at least for a rider of my caliber...I live in Ca. and really only ride at Carnegie ie,(trails, hills and light track). Basically still wet behind the ears, so will big red be alot more better for me or should I just put a little $ into my blue magic and enjoy it. Just need some feed back/ opinions if anyone has specs on these bikes that may help feel free to reply.

Thanks everybody,

If I misspelled words I don't really care.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Seven time National dirt track champion Chris Carr runs an incredible riding school called American SuperCamp and he knows a thing or two about riding. After watching a group of racers he once said :

"I don't see many bikes limiting the riders, but I see a lot of riders limiting the bikes".

Your situation seems to be exactly what he was referring to. ;)

450BigE

Jan 25, 2009
Yeah, Rich I would have to be the first to agree you on that one. But we all have to start somewhere. I just wish I wouldn't have waited 33yrs to start...I guess I'm just trying get a little leverage by getting the better bike.;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A different bike won't make a bit of difference. Learn to set up the suspension on what you have and you can make a difference.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I didn't start riding until I was 39.. So I know where you're coming from.

But, Rich speaks truth.. The bike isn't the problem here. Seat time is key.. The more you ride, the more you will see that.

450BigE

Jan 25, 2009
Hey IndyMX thanks for the kick while I'm down, LoL just kidding I guess I'm just looking for an excuse to get a newer bike. Hey I'm gonna ask a stupid question here, I know you really only learn on the seat, but is there a book or some kind of reference so that I can learn how to control my willies and jump (The right way)? I took a pretty bad spill a few years back and dont really want to do it again, Yeah I know LAME..... who cares though.

Thanks Guys

B

biglou

Bucking the trend of my compadres here... I had an 04YZ450F and it had an incredible motor. At Nocona MX track in Texas one day, I rode a bone stock 06 CRF450 and never rode my YZ again (true story). If I hadn't had an 05 YZ250 (2-stroke) waiting for me at the dealer, I'd have bought the 06 CRF on the spot (was on a trip in Dallas from KC). FFWD 3-1/2 years and I now own my first full-sized red bike. Oh, and I started riding at 34 (back in 2000). :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
biglou said:
Bucking the trend of my compadres here... I had an 04YZ450F and it had an incredible motor. At Nocona MX track in Texas one day, I rode a bone stock 06 CRF450 and never rode my YZ again (true story). If I hadn't had an 05 YZ250 (2-stroke) waiting for me at the dealer, I'd have bought the 06 CRF on the spot (was on a trip in Dallas from KC). FFWD 3-1/2 years and I now own my first full-sized red bike. Oh, and I started riding at 34 (back in 2000). :)

Lois, you make great points.. but, your's were based on experience.. I'd say that with his level, he wouldn't really have anything to base his opinion on. No offense meant, but that's just the fact. When I got my 450, the decision was based purely on the fact that it was available at the price I was willing to spend, and the fact that I kinda like red. Not at all on which bike would be best based on any kind of experience.

As for good resources for learning, check out Gary Semics. He's got some good videos you can get fairly inexpensively. Just google him, he's got a website.

450BigE

Jan 25, 2009
Hey thanks guys, I got an oppertunity to get a newer yz450f I think I'm go in that direction, I figure I cant go wrong with a newer bike.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
As true as it is that the rider most often limits the ability of the bike, I beleive that confidence is the foundation of skill. If you feel more confident on a newer bike and can afford to upgrade, go for it. A riding school is also a great investment. Learn the proper technniques of riding and it will reduce the amont of confidence (and possibly bone) busting mistakes.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom