YZHooligan

Oct 30, 2006
I am a 2stroke rider. I am looking for another/newer bike than my 02YZ250 and was thinking of a YZ250F for some time now.

I will soon be able to buy one (used of course) and want advice ...

I knOW the 2006 YZ250f was the first year with the new Al Frame and all that...

My Q is: should I look for an 06 or an 07 (these are within my budget)

Reason why I am doubting the 06 is b/c its the first year of the new style bike and First anything usually have problems.

Opinions? I was looking to spend about 3200 -3600 on an 06, but wonderign if a little more for an 07 is better choice.

an 08 is at least 4000 and out of budget, plus I dont wana spend that amount of cold hard cash if I am not lining up at Least a few times a year.

Let me know!

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
Let us all know how buying a used 4-stroke works out for you. Good luck!

YZHooligan

Oct 30, 2006
SpDyKen said:
Let us all know how buying a used 4-stroke works out for you. Good luck!

sarcasm???? oooo K ...

So everyone should just go spend $6500 on a new bike no matter what?

I am just asking opinions of an 06 versus an 07 b/c of the New model introduced in 06

i.e. was there any big issues that were not liked in the 06 which were improved for 07 etc

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
It's a good rule of thumb to only buy used, high-strung, dirt bikes from people you know take good care of their bikes. 'Lest you drop a valve at 10,000 RPM and have to pay for $3000 on rebuilding your engine.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
Of course this is from a 14 year old who has only studied 4 strokes through diagrams and this website...

YZHooligan

Oct 30, 2006
well Im def not buying a bike thats been raped. Its obvious if sellers taken good care of it. There are a lot of deals out there right now with people wanting money in their pockets.

And the reason I am looking at 06 and newer is cause some bikes have obviously not been ridden hard cause you can notice all the stock parts and see how clean they are. (im not just talking about looking at plastics grips and levers!)

Or if a seller has receipts of professional shop service through out its year and a half 2 year life, then I think I will take a gamble?? right? no???

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
06 is a good year. Jetting is super easy to setup on that bike. Yamaha did do a recall on the valves for the 06 bikes, nothing alarming. But you will want to run the vin with your local dealer if you get an 06 to make sure it is done.

07 was better for handling. They moved the steering back 3mm in the frame and tilted the motor 5* forward. Jetting on every 07 I have seen is VERY hard. Best solution found was to use the R&D power pump accelerator pump cover with adjustable leak jet . With that and an adjustable fuel screw, you can dial it in pretty well. Go up 1 size on the main and pilot also.

if you can afford it, the newer model year bike is almost always better.

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
I'm not sure you should get some second opinions... If they have the receipts I may take the risk. Also check simple things, like the air filter, ie. if it's clean or not.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Ride the bikes back to back. You will get the 07+ every time.

Ridden every year yz250f since they have been out in 01. Sorry, but this is good advice, not just coming from a kx100 owner.

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
I have the 07.. handles amazing.. I have alot of hard race/practice hours on this bike, engine is stilll going strong, although I just replaced top end, checked valves (which are all still good) put a new cam chain in (precaution) new clutch plates/steelies since mine were worn.. About the jetting - I have a WB Alum Pro pipe and put the White Bro's jet kit when I did it... I dont recall my bike bogging at all ever once shes warm... works really well. Sorry I can't say much about the 06 as I've never tried a 06YZ250F, my friend has a 06 YZ450F that I occasionally race/ride but thats a whole different story..

racer09

Mar 7, 2006
i have the 06 and have riden the 07 a few times. The only real diff i noticed was the handling was a lil better.
imo get whichever one you can find the best deal on especially since you dont race that often.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
jackflack44 said:
It's a good rule of thumb to only buy used, high-strung, dirt bikes from people you know take good care of their bikes. 'Lest you drop a valve at 10,000 RPM and have to pay for $3000 on rebuilding your engine.
This advice even has drawbacks when buying a used 4 stroke. We bought an 07 YZ250F from the dealer we buy all our bikes from- the bike had been a racebike for an AX pro rider and he had less then 4 hours on it before he got his 08. At the 12 hour mark we did have a valve breakoff and drop in destroying a major portion of the engine. This can happen with a new, lightly used (highly maintained), or old beater- 4 strokes are a gamble :bang:
BTW here is what the piston looked like in ours

Attachments

• IMG_5195.JPG
    IMG_5195.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 157
Top Bottom