Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
Is this too low of gearing?? Has anyone tried this? I've heard many use 12/47 and 13/52, but no 12/52. This would have to give you massive low end, wouldn't it???

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Sure. Massive low end (read 'no traction, wheelspin &/or loop-its')

No top end (speed).

It would likely save wear and tear on 1-2 gears. You wouldn't be using them much. ;)

If you already have the 52, you could swap in a 12 for only a few bucks for a test to suit your curiousity.

WAY too much gear, imo.

If it worked for you, that's what would matter.

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
my switching to a 12/48 helped alot, i never saw 6th where i ride either, now i can get there, at least for a little while. i also feel more comfortable iin the woods, which is where i spend most of my time

ZKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 23, 2002
i do accelerate faster, i haven't got to ride quite enough to see if it manuevers over ditches and logs yet. But what i have ridden, it does help me with my balance in tight rocks and trees. Before 1st gear was just too fast and i had no power at extreme bottom end. Now i can stand up through those tough areas and keep it in first and have the power and stability i need.

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
just remember, that gearing that low will keep you constantly shifting gears. i usually never varied more than 1 tooth (taller/lower) than stock on my kdx.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: gearing low...constantly shifting..

Not necessarily.

A lower geared setup may well get you to a HIGHER gear selection in a given trail section, so you may be shifting less! So..3rd gear may work fine in a spot where you HAD to be in 2nd before. When the trail opens up a bit (and you're already in 3rd), it may just be twist-n-go. No shifting at all.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I'll start with the 12 tooth front sproket, then add teeth to the rear sprocket as needed, right??? I geared down an '84 air cooled CR500 and went from massive acceleration to ludicrous acceleration!!! I'm hoping for the same efect on the KDX!!!

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
I understand "gearing for conditions" as in dropping a tooth so 3rd can be used in fairly tight woods. But if you dramatically lower the overall gearing you WILL be shifting more often.

will

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
14 teeth on the front is way too high unless you have a massive rear, and then you get problems with chain guide wear (in my experience). unless you never want to tackle anything steep or tight, stick to 12 or 13.

Tom Ludolff

Oct 3, 2002
I just put a 12 tooth on my KDX220. I can't believe how close the chain rides to the case!!! I thought for sure it was rubbing, but when I inspected closer with a small mirror and flashlight, it looked like I might be able to slip a piece of paper between the case and chain!!! 11 tooth would definitely never work!!!

GreenPeace

Dec 6, 2002
Originally posted by powercart
Has anyone run a 14 tooth???

All depends where you ride.
My friends loves the 14 tooth and I believe in the designing engineers ( 13 tooth ). When we run both bikes on 14 we stay together all the way through.
When I drop to 13 we stay together up to about 5th gear where he leave me behind. This weekend on some hill climbing his bike boiled 2 times from to much clutch fanning as the 14 didnt have bottom end.
14 Is good on wide open roads that allows you to do 140 km/h.
All depends where you ride.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
While replacing stock sprockets, I went to a 13/50 setup. A liitle to low, IMO. So I swapped out the front to a 14. Now, I'm a little taller than stock, but have had no problems. And I'm a big guy. I will go back to stock or maybe a tad lower next time.

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
I rode a 14/48 for years in the woods fat, dumb and happy before I bothered to count the teeth, worked fine for me. Since procured a 13, but I put on the 14 if dual-sporting, makes speed above 40 much more pleasant. My spodely pace, style and terrain just doesn't neccessatate trying a 12.
So in summary, I think 12/52 is wildy too low unless I was in goat country.

Last edited:

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Gearloose just let it loose. Just like jetting, you use different gearing for different conditions. What works for one rider in one situation is all wrong for another. If I'm doing a lot of long hillclimbs or open desert I gear it pretty tall. If we're riding slickrock & trials type trails, I go lower. I carry an extra [front] sprocket in my toolkit & can change ratios on the trail in just 3 min. The better the traction, the more useful low gearing is [you're putting torque through the drivetrain] . 12/52, while not very useful in MOST situations makes 1 very gnarly vertical rock crawling trials trail a piece of cake. Doing it later with stock gearing was a 2 person push-pull nightmare. Shift gears-Shift sprockets.

91KDX

Jan 23, 2003
I ride a lot of different terrain (wide open fields, woods and my mx track) My KDX has KX front forks, its been ported, carb ported, air box and some others. I want a lot of low end power for the woods, a lot of speed for the fields and MX. I want to change the sprockets, does what ratio should I use? I was thinking 12/52 for woods, and 13/52 for the fields. What would work best for the terrain? I am thinkin about experimenting with the sprockets. Should I keep the 52 and change the front sprocket. Or keep the front sprocket at 12 and change the rear. Wouldn't it be easier to change the front instead of the rear? Instead of changing the front sprocket from 12 to 13 wouldn't it make your bike lighter if you kept the front at 12 and changed the 52 rear to 50? Just some questions to screw with your mind.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Just a suggestion--Get the rear between 47 and 50 so the stock guides will work; then experiment with the front sproket for your conditions and you will not affect chain length.
12 tooth will give you more snap and hill climbing. Yes, if you have the traction-you can raise front wheel easier. Also a nice thing about a 12 tooth sproket compared to a larger one, is that it makes slower descents of steeps easier and safer.
Do what feels good for your riding area and style.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
I just put a 12 on (from 13/47) and rode a bunch of tight trails Saturday. The lower gearing totally rules. I could lug and chug anywhere and still have forward momentum. It pulled really strong and I loved the way it went up hills. But I did click in to 6th just putting around on a road.

scairns

Sep 19, 2002
Never too low except for high speed fire road stuff.

It will pull beter all the way until you run out of RPMs.

It is much like 4x4 with big tires, gearing makes a 4 bangger move 35's with ease.

Give er !

Top Bottom