1973 Yamaha 80cc GT1 wont run proper.

murder

Mar 13, 2007
Hi all. I recently acquired a 1973 Yamaha 80cc GT1 dirt bike for free from an old friend. This little bike has the "torque induction" tank on the side, that I am guessing is just for 2-stroke mix oil, though I'm not sure If I have to use it, as it is unattached as of when I got it. So I just mixed up a little 20:1 and pushed it down the road and jumped it. It ran kinda funky when it finally caught, and I proceeded to go for a little ride, but the throttle feels ok, but doesn't act it. It wasn't responding consistently on my throttle input, and after a few minutes, it started to run wide open (lots of snot in this little old bike) and then sputtered out shortly after. Repeated attempts to jump it failed. I tried again after letting it sit for a bit, and it started, but the throttle just seemed to kill it. It also never ran wide open again on several more attempts. Any advice on what to check/do would be greatly appreciated. I do in fact have a mostly dissasembled parts bike. Thanks in advance.

earl pittz

Uhhh...
Mar 9, 2007
I believe I would start by cleaning the carburetor, primarily the jets. Because, it dies when turning the throttle, that tells me that it is getting all air and no gas. I'm pretty sure that will fix your problem.

murder

Mar 13, 2007
Thanks Earl. I will try that in the next few days, and let you know if it worked out. All the info I can get is greatly appreciated. Anyone know if what I have done is ok, as far as just mixing my own gas?

robbie_new

Feb 20, 2007
i have the simialiar bike and mine would die at if it was not at full throttle because it was sitting so the long the float had a leak and the bike was getting to much gas believe it or not

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom