LionelT88

Sep 23, 2019
Ok so this is my first Kawasaki motorcycle/dirtbike ever I've had so many dirt bikes over the years and never had an issue that I couldn't figure out on my own! I'm good with trouble shooting tear down reassembly of two stroke motors old and new but this bike a 1984 KDX200 has had me ripping my hair out since day one! Bike ran great for about two weeks the assbag I bought it from said he had just completely rebuilt the bike and you could clearly see new gaskets plus the bike was spotless other than the fact he painted it completely black with rustoleum gloss paint which should have been a sign of how stupid he was but oh well was my fist bike In a couple years so I was excited I asked all about it what did you replace oil seals, bottom end bearings, all the other oil seals in the motor, did you replace the connection rod bearings and rod so on and so forth! Yes yes yes blow smoke right up my ass! How about the air filter he said new the cover was off I could clearly see it was new I put the cover on and didnt think other wise of it well guess what there was no cage in the air filter the stupid fuck just bolted it on with no cage needless to say I burnt the rod out of it! Screwed, so I got the crank rebuilt and got a new piston did it all up bike sat for a couple weeks put it back together and ran fine I couldn't find a cage anywhere for it so I used a simple round UNI filter for it to get by till I could make a cage with 1/4" round stock and weld it together I'll be damned if the mono shock didnt rub a small hole in that filter within days I didnt see it same thing happened again lost compression wouldn't start after it had ran and gotten hot so I tore it back down and to get by for the time being I used radio hose that had a bre bent 90° in it and got a small cone filter I had to take the piston off the rod and remove the rings everything was galded up bad with carbon from sucking in dust I was able to save the piston and ride it for the time being till I could replace everything new again so I found a used cylinder on Ebay stock size bore I re did the bottom end again new piston new everything third time!!! ( oh and by the way I ride this bike back and forth to work every day which is why I've gone through all this shit normal I would have sold the bike and counted my losses but you gotta work ) so after the bike was all put back together it fired right up no problem lots of compression well got on it rode it down the street and it will not pick up rpms at all th I'll ng sounds like a gas powered leaf blower that wont run right I changed plug still no difference because that's what it seems like it's running in a fouled plug three plugs no difference bike wont go over 2000rpms I'm willing to bet seems like it was loading up so I took the carb apart leaned it up one notch on the needle no difference at all but as your ridding the bike it you shut the fuel off as it begins to run out the thing will take off like a rocket and run for just a second or two like it should b4 running out of gas turn it back on and boom same problem seems like its loading up getting to much fuel but I didnt change anything from the last two times it ran fine all the coils were replaced and new from Ricky stator in CA so about the only thing I noticed that was different was the sleeve inside the cylinder had two holes for ports in the jug that there was nothing behind them almost like it was the wrong sleeve but everything else all the other ports matched up fine? I'm absolutely going nuts over this if anyone has any ideas I'd greatly appreciate it I have a brand new Ebay carb in gonna try out it's a little more modern with a slide instead of a round bell type also a lot bigger maybe the key way sheared off I do not know I didnt check yet timing out possibly remember this isn't a 86 and up there is no machinal power valve in it the bike also has two stage boyseen reeds that are not cracked the bike should rip ass bo problem I'm fucking clueless please help thanks!

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Kehin PJ carbs is what I have on my 85-89 cr-250's. I had some issues with bogging and sputtering. I went down 1 step lean on my pilot jet, and 1 step down lean on my main jet. I notice the ethynol in the fuel they sell makes all bikes bad. I heard that the ethynol could eat up rubber seals in engines and make them run really bad. Ex. crank seals, float valve needles, etc. You might try to find some ethynol free gas, or try some VP racing gas just for grins. I know back in the 80's I never experienced the troubles I have today with bad running. I think Autozone sells ethynol remover to add to gas. Good luck!

LionelT88

Sep 23, 2019
Kehin PJ carbs is what I have on my 85-89 cr-250's. I had some issues with bogging and sputtering. I went down 1 step lean on my pilot jet, and 1 step down lean on my main jet. I notice the ethynol in the fuel they sell makes all bikes bad. I heard that the ethynol could eat up rubber seals in engines and make them run really bad. Ex. crank seals, float valve needles, etc. You might try to find some ethynol free gas, or try some VP racing gas just for grins. I know back in the 80's I never experienced the troubles I have today with bad running. I think Autozone sells ethynol remover to add to gas. Good luck!
I'm beginning to think it could be a gas or carb issue like you said! definitely not a leak or compression leak issue bike only had one ride on it brand new everything my second guess is the stock size cylinder I got used off of Ebay the sleeve that was in it had to ports on the exhaust side that lead to no where now there both the same size in the same location on each side of the sleeve about 3/8" inch square makes me wonder if it's not a sleeve for a newer KDX 200 one with a machical power valve??? This I'm not sure because I've never seen one! So I'm thinking that its getting blow by not allowing proper combustion and fuel is getting into the exhaust because man it seems like I mixed it double 24/1 ratio when I did not! I have an aftermarket carb I'm gonna try out mutch more advanced then the old makuni that's on it it has air screw I have smaller jets for it so i guess I'll play around and see till I'm able to send my other cylinder to be sleeved or buy one and do it myself i appreciate your input!! Anything else anyone can think of would be great especially someone familiar with KDX bikes

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
I'm beginning to think it could be a gas or carb issue like you said! definitely not a leak or compression leak issue bike only had one ride on it brand new everything my second guess is the stock size cylinder I got used off of Ebay the sleeve that was in it had to ports on the exhaust side that lead to no where now there both the same size in the same location on each side of the sleeve about 3/8" inch square makes me wonder if it's not a sleeve for a newer KDX 200 one with a machical power valve??? This I'm not sure because I've never seen one! So I'm thinking that its getting blow by not allowing proper combustion and fuel is getting into the exhaust because man it seems like I mixed it double 24/1 ratio when I did not! I have an aftermarket carb I'm gonna try out mutch more advanced then the old makuni that's on it it has air screw I have smaller jets for it so i guess I'll play around and see till I'm able to send my other cylinder to be sleeved or buy one and do it myself i appreciate your input!! Anything else anyone can think of would be great especially someone familiar with KDX bikes
Yeup, the cylinder should match the sleeve, all transfer, exhaust and intake ports, even boost ports, all of em'. I never heard of a sleeve not matching a cylinder, Odd? I know you sound like you are trying to save some coinage. But you should learn about the return policy of that ebay site. L/A sleeve sells matched sleeves to your cylinder. If all else fails, find a cycle bone yard and see if you can cheaply get a replacement, then bore and hone it to specs. Of course find a matched piston, and you should be in bidness...
243961.png

Top Bottom