txnewbee

Dec 6, 2012
Looking to get an 1984 honda cr500 but would like to know what mods would be required to make it reliable not gona offroad it at all going to completely convert to a street bike need l the advice and help i can get please and thank you :ride:

txnewbee

Dec 6, 2012
Reason im gona street it is im a truck driver and sometimes ill get stuck in a town for work for a couple days and its a pain to drive my big truck around so i found this cr500 and the guy wants 400 bucks just want to make sure i can make it reliable

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I had an 84. It would start first kick. . . or take 20 and maybe a bump start. It would burble off idle until it it got on the pipe and then it would hit pretty good. Drum rear brake if I remember correctly. loud as all get out not only through the pipe but from the air fins resonating.
It was a fun bike, but streetable? I suppose so. Wouldn't be my first choice though

You'd want to replace the stator so you can have lights, turn signals, brake lights. A switch for the brake pedal. Some sort of battery to pass DOT inspection. Probably a horn too. The tires are supposed to be DOT legal.
Good luck! share some pics.

txnewbee

Dec 6, 2012
Not my first choice either but he wants 400 thats good right? Ive heard that an upgraded pipe and carb help it run better as far as all the issues ive read they have and the fact that they can hit highway speeds is a plus and the electrical is what im really concerned about

txnewbee

Dec 6, 2012
Also what stator would you recommend on this bike? I may ask really wtf questions but like my name says im a newbee and im from TX lol but i plan to do a bobberish style build when its all said and done just need help from all the people that know these bikes best and how to get it reliable also a question yall probably dont get much on here how do you lower this bike? I want low low chopper level

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
The trouble with anything from 84 is finding stock parts. I would imagine finding many aftermarket parts would be doubly difficult.

I bought my 84 cr500 for cheap money 12 years ago. Took another couple hundred to get it up to decent working order. Then I had to rebuild the shock because after close to 20 (for you it's close to 30) years of bouncing up and down the shock innards were worn. there went another 100$ or more, I forget.

My goal isn't to keep you from getting this bike, or from undertaking this project. I just want you to go into it with your eyes open.
They say you shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. I call BS on that. Look in it's mouth, check it's conformation, etc.

To answer your question, I wouldn't know where to find an aftermarket stator that would fit an 84 CR500. You may have to learn how to rewind the one that is there to give you the extra juice you are going to need if you put on lights.

txnewbee

Dec 6, 2012
I read in an older post on here someone claimed to have put a later model carb on his 84 along with a upgraded exhaust pipe im guessing some of the parts like the carb and exhaust and maybe other things are interchangeable i tried to email that member but he does not accept emails from other members and it looked like maybe he wasnt active anymore

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Old post, he shouldn't have streeted it, its a Honda classic. Should have gone to a Honda dealer and got a nice new cruiser street bike, Honda is truly awesome!

Top Bottom