robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
I had a brand new '86 and kept it for 3 years. As I recall, they made significant changes in 1986 and I know that the 86 won all the magazine awards (for what that's worth). I can't really speak to the 85 tho. :( Hope someone else can help you out. . .

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Years ago my buddy had a 1985 CR80,it was the first two stroke I ever rode that was quick. The first time it hit the powerband I thought it was gonna pull out of my hands cause I wasn't ready for it. We flogged the hell out of it for many summers. We even ran 10W40 in the gas in place of two cycle,it ran fine. great bike ,tough.

My experience

Crazy4nitro

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
A friend on mine had one of those for a long time owned it from new. It was the 2nd year of the ATAC power valved motor setup and the last. With the newer style bodywork it was a fast bike, it was alittle bit of an opposite of what honda had been offering in the 80 class. Before honda's where alittle bit smaller in size compared to the class leading KX 80. CR 80's for the past few years had easy to ride motors that a alittle bit of bottom more mid range motors that went flat up top. the KX the year before was more powerful better suspended had a front disc! kawie was super dead serious on the 80 class.

The '85 CR was more of a mid/top end screamer like todays style of CR 80/85's the motor is very close to the same design. Just take away the added ATAC garbage that didn't work on the 80. It was a good bike it added some red back to the sea of green but the KX was still alittle bit better. But it was the 2nd best 80 then suzuki didn't get it's act together for another year YZ was getting dated in ergo's even though bradshaw could win on it :) I had an '82 YZ100 then and was more interested in racing 125's at the time.

Top Bottom