Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Well Hi ya'll...been awhile. Although I did join in 1999 when I changed my screen name my join date changed. Have not been on in a LONG time. Enough of that...I've been building 70 era Maicos and Honda minis, but, a year ago I picked up a roach 95 CR250R. I had a 96 back in 96 but ended up selling around 2000(big mistake). The new(er) build is really going slow but moving forward. Frame and sub are powder coated and the suspension has been reworked by Mike Weisner the suspension guy in Michigan. I have a very basic question about the swing arm - What did Honda use as a coating system? I want to wet sand it and reapply a close to factory finish. Also, was the triple tree coated, and if so with what? Thanks in advance!

John in Michigan

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Cool project John. AJ can probably answer the coating questions.

Any chance of you posting some pics of the Maicos you've done?

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
C 002.jpg

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Sold a couple Magnums I did. Have a 79 400 in process. The 79 440 shown is mine. Wossner top. All new seals/bearings/engine chain/DEP pipe and silencer/Stock suspension all reworked/basis cosmetics- DC plastic, etc. Had to go with a non-std oval front plate just because I could...BadBrush Graphics...

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Wow that is awesome! It brings back great memories of working out Mikuni jetting on those things running up and down the frontage road at Vic Krause's old shop. I'll bet it's incredibly fun to ride.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Yeah, I figured you knew that, bawhaha....back in the seventies all I could get was anything but a Maico. When I started getting basket cases you and I conversed and I got this film from you...been a few years ago.
Copy of Rich Rohrich&Vic Krause 1978 440.jpg

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Concerning the 95 CR250R: So, I'm thinking (bad idea) that the swing arm is just brushed aluminum and clear coated by the factory. Still would like a definitive answer if anyone knows. The triple tree is stranger yet (on this roach I scrounged) - the upper is bare casting and the bottom seems to be painted (silver/alum). Close examination tells me it was not painted by an owner.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
When I have talked to AJ in the past about welding on the CR swingarms he talked about specific prep work that was required, indicating to me that it was clear coated. For the life of me I can't remember the specifics. I'll send him and email and see if he has time to jump in on the thread to help.

I'm actually going to see Vic this weekend. There is a District 16/17 Hall of Fame ceremony at Byron on Saturday and he will be one of the speakers.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Thanks Rich. I wanted to go to Byron but have another commitment. I'll have a few friends there racing in the Midwest VMX series. Bob Underhill will be there. I saw that Eric Gorr will be getting inducted, as well as a few others. Should be a great weekend there.

CR3999

Feb 28, 2000
I used to race an ole 95 CR. Are you staying with the purple scoops?
Heck I still race an 07 CR,,,,,,, yesterday.
That should be a sweet ride. I found my 07 in Kansas a few years ago with the stock chain and tires still on it. The thing is he must have crash every time he rode it. Had to replace a Pipe and both radiators. Good Luck

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
No on the purple. It's a Jeremy McGrath replica (at least in my world). Throttle Jockey graphics. Yep, I need two new radiators, new fuel tank, and all of the other usual parts and pieces. Engine still has to be torn down and every seal, bearing, blah, blah. Just slid the newly rebuilt forks in yesterday. Went ahead and did clear coat the swing arm so next week I'll install all new bearings and seal and bolt in the rebuilt shock.

Top Bottom