Imho

Sponsoring Member
Mar 6, 2002
G'day All,

I am looking at buying a second-hand 1999 RM125. From what I can see it has not been looked after particularly well. It has just had a bottom end rebuild (big end and mains, with receipts). Most of the other things are cosmetic (torn seat, graphics, scratches). I would rebuild the top end, replace the chain/sprockets, wheel bearings and linkage bearings regardless. The price is roughly US$1800.

I suspect this will probably generate a number of '<insert you brand here> are better' replies but can anybody give me an objective assessment of the 1999 RM125? For example:

Does it have any inherent problems?
Are the other brands of the same era streets ahead in performance or handling?
Is the durability on a par with other brands?

Thanks in advance.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
I would not buy a used zook. I have riden the 99 RM 125 and I rember it being real nervous. It was my freind Jennys bike and it ate up cranks, I think she put two in one year. The clutch in zooks are junk too. I would look for somthing differnt.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by super rat
I would not buy a used zook.

What the hell? So all used suzukis are junk? Just because you've ridden one your an authority? Suzukis can be just as reliable as any other brand if you take care of them. Every bike will have its quirks. I have a 97 rm125 that has not given me one problem yet, handles good, turns great, and has a strong motor.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
What the hell? So all used suzukis are junk? Just because you've ridden one your an authority? Suzukis can be just as reliable as any other brand if you take care of them.

Dude I own a 02 rm 250. ;) I would never buy a used Zook.

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Here is somthin for ya, other than Yamahas I have owned more Zooks than any other brand of bikes, I love the way they handel. If you think that they are put together as well as Hondas or Yamahas your dreaming. ;)

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
Ok "Dude",well thats your opinion and your entitled to it. I just haven't had any of the same bad experiences you've obviously had with the yellow brand. Sorry if i jumped on you, it just bugs me when people say the same stereotypical comments without having any knowledge on the subject.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Sorry to break up the cat fight, but my friend has a 2000 RM125 and a 1999 RM125 and I'd like to second that their clutches are seriously bad

super rat

Ass Clown at DRN
Mar 31, 2001
Sorry if i jumped on you,

Dude no need to be sorry, I have thick skin. If I had no experience with zooks I would not comment on the subject. Try not to get your panties in such a bunch next time, dude :p

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
you should rephrase that to do not buy a thrash used zook, or any bike for that matter that has been thrashed. They'll become money pits qwickly.

simon1

Oct 15, 2000
i have just sold my 00rm125 after six months of owning it.

had to replace

piston (twice)
crank
gearbox overhaul(twice)
chain and sprockets
clutch

but i loved that bike and never thought i would ever sell it but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom