1st post - London, Ontario, Canada

Dec 19, 2004
1st post

Hey what's up , im Justin I live in canada more specific London Ontario.Im 16 in march, I ride a 03 crf 150 (yah i know) but i have to buy my own bikes.. It's going in the summer to be replaced buy a yz/cr/or sx 125 havent decided. Im ganna wait to see what some ppl think about there new cr's there susposta be sick! As soon as i get this board fidgured out i'll put a couple rideing pics up.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Welcome to the site 24 :cool:

Be sure and go to your User CP and update information relating to your location, type of riding, etc

We have many members from your area. Hopefully a few will pop in and say hi!

Again, welcome to the site, and shout if you have any questions!

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Welcome to DRN 24!

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
Hey 24, I live in Tillsonburg, Ontario. About 30 mins away from you. I'm 14 and I ride a 2001 KX250. We should go riding sometime in the spring. There's a couple tracks down here. Gopher dunes is the main one. Then there's 2 other private tracks I know of. Only ridden one a lot of times. I'm a good friend with the guy who owns it (this track is more of a national style track). The other one is a natural track by norwhich. It's supposed to be pretty good. Theres a huge natural tabletop in it (80ft+) You should come down sometime.

Dec 19, 2004
Thanks for the imput boys ... :cool:

highflyernick: We should definatly ride some time. I go to tempsford all the time in the summer, I have heard of Gopher dunes before havent had the chance to go there yet.

i_955

Dec 18, 2004
Hi Guys,

I’m 42 and just picked up a 2002 YZ250.
When I had my old bike (2001 KTM 380EXC) I took it to the Dunes once. I had always avoided the sand but was unable to there. It was a great day, loved the track and I understand they now have an irrigation system working. Will definitely be heading back there soon hopefully before the new year.

Where is the Norwhich track?
Where is the Tempsford Track?

I've been to the Pit in Thamesford, that is a great track also.

Always looking for a new place to ride and new people to ride with.

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
Hey, I've never been to the Norwhich track but it supposed to be pretty good. And it can't be that hard to find, Norwhich isn't very big. Gopher Dunes is pretty fun. It's sometimes better to go to the dunes when it rains in hte morning and go in the afternoon. If you just riding hte track then it keeps hte dust down because the sand soaks all the water up. The trails get pretty muddy though. I didn't know about a Tempsford track.

highflyernick

Oct 12, 2004
Oh ya, if you guys come down sometime to go riding I would have to get everybody to come riding with us. Some of my friends have dirtbikes.

Last edited:

Dec 19, 2004
I believe the one in tempsford is called the pit... it's a private track ...pritty cool it has a rambow jump(110 foot table) and several doubles/stepdowns and another big 70 table top.. I was rideing there at the start of september.. How could i find out where every ones from , im looking for ppl in my area such as u guys, do i have to look at everyones specific profiles or is there something with every one organized into groups where there from. Thanks

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
24 said:
im looking for ppl in my area such as u guys, do i have to look at everyones specific profiles or is there something with every one organized into groups where there from. Thanks

If I can decipher the webspeak ... :)

There are no organized groups of DRN members in your area, so you have a couple of choices ...

1. Start a thread in the Places To Ride / Organized Rides forum. Be sure and put the geographic area in your title (similar to the way I did for your first thread) and wait on responses.
2. As an extension of the above, you can try and drum up enough interest to form a local chapter like the many local chapters south of the border.

04-yz-250, 1tontj, devries, Dogz, Peer Lovell, and seancza are members that I am aware of that call Ontario home.

There are a few more just to your east in Quebec.

Milhaus

Jan 26, 2005
"There are a few more just to your east in Quebec"

LOL....about 6-7hrs east! People forget how vast (although largely uninhabited) Canada is. It actually takes about 20hrs to drive from one end of Ontario to the other.

Thats ok Tony, I dont know much about TX geography either :)
I hear its pretty big too :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Milhaus said:
"There are a few more just to your east in Quebec"
LOL....about 6-7hrs east! People forget how vast (although largely uninhabited) Canada is. It actually takes about 20hrs to drive from one end of Ontario to the other.

Good point, my bad ... I drove from Sault Sainte Maire to Montreal and on down into New Hampshire to pick up a canoe. I had wanted to stop at Petersbourgh and go to the canoe museum there, but it was just getting started up and they were not open officially yet. Subsequently I went across the northern route ... Sudbury, North Bay and on to Arnprior for the evening. I had planned on camping at the provincial park near Pembroke (if I remember correctly) but it was pouring down rain and I decided to move on and get a motel room. The next day was a beautiful fall Saturday and I spent it in Ottawa. I went through Parliment and was allowed to take photos inside the building as it was Saturday. What a stroke of providence as the building is beautiful and as an architect I thoroughly enjoyed my day.

I try and go to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area every couple of years.

Milhaus said:
Thats ok Tony, I dont know much about TX geography either :)
I hear its pretty big too :)

Yes it is ... If you are in El Paso (western end of I10) you are nearer to LA than you are to Orange. If you are in Orange (eastern end of I10) you are closer to the Atlantic than you are to El Paso. If you are in Amarillo (northern part of the panhandle), you are closer to the state capitals of five other states than you are to Austin (state capital of Texas). I10 from Orange to El Paso is 888 miles which is just over 1,432 Kilometers.

Milhaus

Jan 26, 2005
Wow, Tony i'm impressed! You've actually seen more of Ontario than most of us!

I can only say that I spent a week in Dallas once a few years ago in August I believe. Went to Dealey Plaza, cowboys stadium, and a mall that had an ice skating rink right in the middle of it...I think it was the year the Stars won the cup.

Nice place, it was sooo hot, and fellow Canadians reading this, it wasnt a "dry heat", and if it was, it was little consolation....Our summers can get pretty muggy but I swear it felt as if you could get a tan outside at night!

I'd luv to drive a convertible through southern TX someday. Since my trip through Arizona, I'm fascinated by deserts.

And you're right, if you are thinking of Ottawa, Quebec is a REALLY short drive away. But to us Greater Toronto Area types, Ottawa is still 5-5 1/2 hrs away....even further if you're from London ON.
Toronto is actually closer to Detroit and Buffalo than Ottawa or Quebec. In fact I know a fair amount of people here that have cottages in Ellicottville NY rather than in northern ontario.
Here's to good border relations!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Milhaus said:
I'd luv to drive a convertible through southern TX someday. Since my trip through Arizona, I'm fascinated by deserts.

If you want to come to Texas and ride in a convertible, make it the springtime, hopefully when the bluebonnets are out. Plan on spending a week in the Hill Country west of Austin and you might not go back north.

If you really like deserts, check out the Big Bend Area of SW Texas. Big Bend is one of the least visited areas in the Lower 48. It is already springtime there and was beautiful the week between Christmas and New Years. We have been going there on December 26th for a guy's "while the gals take everything back we bought them" week away in the Davis Mountains for over 15 years and it never gets old. It was in the 20's at night and the 70's during the days even then.

Also, you need to think about coming to the Reno ride sometime. Moonrocks is everything that deserts on a dirtbike are meant to be. Big wide open spaces that defy photography or description. Our annual ride there is coming up in 3 weeks. We usually get a good size crew from BC. Fly in some year, there are always spare bikes around.

Another place to check out is Moab, springtime being the best time with fall a close second.

Milhaus

Jan 26, 2005
hmmm... good info. Moab was a place the wifey and I were thinking of checking out anyways, just from the site seeing point of view, wouldnt be too much trouble to strap a bike to the back of the Durango, as long as the folks at the border are cool with it. What sort of mods would have to be done to the bike to be desert friendly? tires?
Big bend sounds sweet too...
Question:
What are "Bluebonnets"? Bird or something, or a euphemism for college chicks? lol...

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Yoda here ....

Bluebonnets - All the knowledge you could ever want. Check it out.

Our "chicks" can be absolutely beautiful, but they don't hold a candle to our bluebonnets. ;)

Always one to promote cross border friendships, I have compiled/written a compendium (dang, I like that word :)) of information on Moab. Email me your addy and I can send it to you. It doesn't have every bit of knowledge that you need but it covers the basics well and incorporates all the info I could gleen frm DRN as well.

Regarding modifications, all you really need to tweek is your main jet. I dropped from a 185 to a 172 and that was it. Moab is not wide open desert where you go 70 MPH (112 KMH) for hours (y'all haven't converted them to metric yet have ya? :| ) on end. As you will see from the photographs it is beautiful country meant to be enjoyed at a more sedate pace.

Moab is also nice because 30+ years ago the US surrounded it with two wonderful National Parks, Arches and Canyonlands. Either alone is worth the drive IMHO, but put them together and add some singletrack and jeep trails and you have heaven. All that surrounding a town that caters to tourists. There are plenty of great places to stay, eat and shop as well.

Now for the real sales pitch! What are you doing in early May? We are organizing a ride there as we speak!

Milhaus

Jan 26, 2005
Email me your addy and I can send it to you
sure its Lars_10@hotmails.com (just take out the "s" in hotmail...its to prevent spammers from picking it up).
, all you really need to tweek is your main jet. I dropped from a 185 to a 172 and that was it.

sounds easy enough....although my hunch is that my jetting (base) will differ from yours due to regional variations...not sure what mine is currently at, honestly.

Now for the real sales pitch! What are you doing in early May? We are organizing a ride there as we speak!
Nothing so far that I know of....in fact I have about a weeks worth of vaco from last year that my boss wants me to use up asap as our fiscal ends in July. Not sure if the wife has enough.....Although if any locals in Ontario want to go and split the ride (have to have a trailer as my bike carrier only holds 1) , that may be an option.... It would be cool if someone from the Great White North represented :)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
You have mail ;)

tx246 can tell you all about the mods necessary for Moab, he rides a CR250 as well. He and I are working on the planning as we speak. Well sorta anyway, he is asleep right now, but you get the picture.

Top Bottom