KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
On Saturday was on about my fifth lap or so and missed 3rd (or I thought), on the next shift missed it again....having to double tap to get it into third. Then started having a problem getting out of 3rd into 2nd (have to double tap again). I stopped riding almost immediately.

Shifting to first and second were no problem at high rpms, third is where the problems began and never got a chance to shift to 4th at high rpm.

I am wondering if I have an external shift mech. issue? Anyone have experience with these types of symptoms? Any advice on what to look for? I have a manual but need more tips.

Once the bike is in gear it does not budge or slip or grind. Clutch seems to be adjusted properly. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

aussiemarc

Aug 3, 2006
It could be a shift mechanism issue. your shift shaft maybe bent or maybe your shift fork/drum needs a dismantling and a putting back together could be some sort of materials blocking the shift fork from swinging freely or the shift drum may have lost some parts to it and needs a rebuild.

all pretty easy to dao and will take you about 3 hours to pull apart inspect, rebuild and reinstall if thats the issue.

marc

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
Kevin, I dunno what to tell you brother. I know you've been wrestling with that thing for a bit now, after replacing your first topend, and now this. Don't give up hope man, and if necessary, I'll give you a hand for sure. k?

Justin

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
Try taking the main side cover off the right side to expose all the clutch and shift parts. There should be a small return spring on the shift actuator....
If its missing or laying in the bottom of the case get a new one any you should be good.
This happened to my KX250...sounds like a similar problem.
FWIW Hope this helps.

KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
Sup Justin, this thing has given me hell! I do have a manual.

I removed the right side cover and clutch last night to inspect the external shift mech. All looks intact and in good shape (springs where they're supposed to be, etc.). I worked through the gears by hand and could not get it into 3rd, what ever the problem is its between the cases......

Found a guy that will tear it down for me and inspect/repair. While I have it apart I will have the cylinder recoated. It should be in great shape when all done. Thanks for the help all.

See you in a few weeks Justin, Once I get this thing in good running condition I am planning to sell (figures right, spend all the money on it to get it primo and then sell it!). I think I am hexed on a 2-stroke, thinkin bout goin to a YZ450

ihone

Jan 10, 2006
sorry to hear about it Kev. Glad you have the resources to get it looked at and possibly fixed. I was really looking forward to taking it out on a testrun, seeing as I may be in the market for a 250 2 stroke sooner than later. I got the 250F on a helluva steal, but I'm really afraid that it's going to grenade on me, just because of the way it was treated before. And anyone that's killed their thumper, knows what that repair bill was like.... :cry:

We're heading out to Rio this Sunday, and it'd be good to see you out there man. As I understand it, the track should be prepped and ready for a day of great riding. Hell, we may just see Jeff D out there, as he's been frequently riding that place as of late.

Call me if you need some help, or just a vent from working on that Kawi. lol

KX250newb

Dec 25, 2005
Thanks Justin, wish I could have it repaired quick but I bet it will be at least 3 weeks. I am actually excited to see the difference that the new nikosil (sp?) coating will have on the performance. I think I have been riding it for the last 6 months with the cylinder worn out..lol. I will get the thing back and get bucked off....lol.

See you soon bro.

Top Bottom