2000 RM250, won't start, acting odd

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Went out into the yard as usual to ride my 2000 rm250. Now, I've had this bike for over a year now, and I know it very well. If it hasn't started by the 3rd kick, somethings wrong. If it hasn't started by the 4th kick, it's not going to start at all. Kicked it 4 times, didn't start, so I gave up, went and whined at Daddy. He kicked for a while, still wouldn't start. Took it and pulled the plug, it was all wet and smelled like gas..... flooded. Wiped it off, stuck it back in and it started up 1st kick, like it always does. Ran fine for the rest of the day, started up cold and hot no problem.
Dad just said it flooded.... because 2-strokes just do that sometimes. I don't believe that for one second, by bike NEVER floods, something's fishy.
I go out today to ride it.... agian, won't start no matter what I do. Then tonight I went out (and it's fairly cold right now, 7 degrees celcius), hopped on it, fired up 1st kick.
I also noticed, when it wouldn't start the first time it wa a little stiffer to kick than usual.... wierd.

What is my bike up to? Why does it decide to not run.... and then 6 hours later starts 1st kick? Why would it start to flood when it hasn't flooded once in the 14 months I've owned it? Dad said my reeds might be going.. what do you guys think it could be?

minutz

Feb 6, 2000
Are you turning the gas off when your not using it? Sounds like a sticky needle and seat, most likley needs a simple carb cleaning or float adjustment.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
minutz and I are thinking the same thing here. Is gas coming out the carb overflow hose when gas is on? Could be a simple carb cleaning is all that's needed. I'd look into that first. Did you try holding the throttle wide open when kicking? This will usually start a flooded bike.
Maybe reed wear, maybe compression issues, I'd start with cheap and simple... carb cleaning.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
I'm lazy, I never turn my gas off. No, I have not noticed any gas coming out.... and holding the throttle wide open didn't help, wich is wierd. I am going to check out the carb, and reeds. It started fine this morning agian, ran great no problem. So I don't think it's anything really serious.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
Has now moved into gas pouring out the bottom.... as you predicted. I'm buying new reeds for sure, even if only to rule them out of future problems. Will check out the carb too.

I've learned the system of startage for my bike. Choke and kick as normal. If it starts pouring gas, turn the gas OFF, hold the throttle wide open, plug your ears and kick. Once it starts, immediately unchoke, wait a few seconds and turn gas back on.
It's really quite fun explaining this to people who want to ride my bike. Even funnier watching them do it. ;)

T_Bois

Sep 13, 2009
Whenever you think it's flooded, you should take the choke off.

Before you pull the carb, you could try to flush the float bowl and valve.

Most carbs have a threaded plug at the bottom of the float bowl to allow you to drain the fuel in the carb, find the plug and remove it. Be sure to put a small container or a large rag under the carb to catch the fuel and be sure TO TURN THE GAS OFF at the tank before doing this. Leave this plug out for now. Next, remove the fuel line from the inlet of the carb and spray carb cleaner into fuel inlet until it starts running out the bottom of the carb. Put the plug back into the bottom of the carb. Before you connect the fuel line back up, turn the fuel back on and drain off a bit of fuel into a clean container, then check the fuel for dirt. If it's clean connect everthing back up.

A word about safety. Whenever you work around gas, think about what you would do if a fire starts, especially if you are in a garage. Never smoke, or have friends that are smoking around you if you're working on a carb, a gas leak, or have an open container of gas. If you spill gas on your clothes, don't go near any open flame (including a water heater, room heater, etc) until you've taking your clothes off.

Your bad habit of not turning the gas off can be deadly if your bike is parked in the garage for the night and it starts leaking. If the leak is bad enough the whole tank of fuel could dump and fill the garage with gas fumes. The fumes may even fill your house as well. Once the air becomes full of fumes, you have a bomb that can be ignited by a light switch or an electric garage door opener. ALWAY turn off your gas.

Hope you fix your carb, just be careful when with working fuel.

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
T_Bois said:
Your bad habit of not turning the gas off can be deadly if your bike is parked in the garage for the night and it starts leaking.

My bike lives outside, nowhere near the house. Last winter I kept it in the basement, after draining the fuel out of the tank. But thank you for your advice.... gas can be sooo dangerous.

smahala1286

Sep 9, 2004
250girl said:
I'm lazy, I never turn my gas off. No, I have not noticed any gas coming out.... and holding the throttle wide open didn't help, wich is wierd. I am going to check out the carb, and reeds. It started fine this morning agian, ran great no problem. So I don't think it's anything really serious.

Turning your fuel petcock off is a lot easier then kicking over a flooded bike

250girl

Mod Ban
Dec 19, 2007
smahala1286 said:
Turning your fuel petcock off is a lot easier then kicking over a flooded bike

See that's funny, I have been riding 2-strokes since I was 9, and rarely have I ever turned the fuel off. It has yet to cause flooding in any of my bikes. I know there's something wrong with my bike, becasue after a year of not having the gas turned off, it's started flooding now. So it's definitely something else.

I've had jokes played on me.... by people who know I never turn my gas off. I've actually taken my sparkplug out and checked to see if it is super fouled, because my bike won't start....... not noticing that some idiot has turned my gas off. Now, I know to check the petcock first thing, insteading of tearing my hair out wondering why my reliable bike won't start.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Not turning off your fuel petcock has absolutely NOTHING to do with the issue of fuel flooding your engine and the Earth, geez! Its just a good habit to get into, safer, smarter. How would you like to run race fuel, that has to be removed from the bike if its going to sit a couple hours? Order up a float valve and seat, stat! Vintage Bob p.s. you can change any habit in 2 weeks of honest effort,nc.

Top Bottom