grimsrue

Apr 9, 2006
Does anyone have an easy way to replace the drive axle oil seal on a 2000 yz250 MX bike?
There is a spacer in front of it and I am not sure if I can get that seal out without removing the spacer. If the spacer has to be removed then does any one know and easy way to remove the space without completly dismantling the engine?
I have done many oil seal replacments of this nature on trucks and cars but this spacer has me scatching my head.

THanks
Erik

grimsrue

Apr 9, 2006
Nevermind. I found that if I pulled on the seal hard enough with a seal puller that both the seal and the spacer come out together. I am good now. Just FYI for others who are attempting to do this.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
fyi, for next time. the spacer just slides out. usually there is an o ring behind it. and then you have plenty of room to access the seal. when you reassemble, install the seal (grease the lip) then slide the o ring and spacer in gently. you might have to spin the spacer slowly - just to make sure the inner lip does roll.

grimsrue

Apr 9, 2006
The spacer did not slide out. In fact in would not budge at all. Had to yank out the seal with some force with the spacer still on the drive axle. When the seal came out the spacer slide off the drive axle with it. I do not see a o-ring either. According to the service manual the exploded vew of the drive axle shows the O-ring on the back side of the bearing only.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom