sraser

May 31, 2001
Has anyone ever had problems with their sprocket bolts on the '00 yz's? I bought the bike, and noticed that the bolts kept coming loose. I ended up replacing the sprocket and getting new bolts...I made sure to use lock-tite as well. I made sure that I checked the bolts before every ride with the new setup. Well, on about my fifth ride with the new sprocket something weird happened. I landed a jump at the local track, and suddenly heard a loud noise and had my back wheel sieze up. I look down and find my sprocket bent in half with part of the hub torn off and the spokes broken. After taking it apart, I found only 3 of the 6 bolts still in the sprocket (with the hub still attached...sorry to say) Anyways, I'm almost positive this happened because the bolts came lose again. Has anyone had similar problems? I'm getting my wheel rebuilt, and would hate for this to happen again because of bolts coming loose. Any suggestions or info?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I saw a guy we rode with at the track sheer off his rear sprocket bolts on his 426. Not sure if this is common, but doesn't sound fun at all. What color of lock-tite did you use?

sraser

May 31, 2001
The red stuff...the thing is, I have a buddy that works at a shop who told me about the yz's needing larger bolts. However, I've talekd to 3 or 4 Yamaha dealerships and none of them have heard of this or know anywhere to get the fatter bolts.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
One thing about Loctite that you may or may not know. If you retighten a bolt that has Loctite on it you effectivly break the Loctite's seal. Meaning it no longer is Loctited. (Is that a word?)

Just one more thing to think about.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Fatter how? Heads? That would be the only change possible unless it was retapped. Try a stronger grade bolt, maybe titanium but beware that titanium cold welds to aluminum if precautions aren't taken.

B

biglou

There have been some issues with the 426's breaking hubs (ask Nikki and Red, and Predator), but I haven't heard of any of the 2T's breaking them. Like Layton says, once you loctite and tighten a bolt, you can't adjust it. If you check it and it's loose, take it out, clean it and re-loctite it before you tighten it back up. I stayed on top of my sprocket bolts on the 426 for the first few rides, but never found them loose. I have since gotten a little lax about keeping my eye on them. So far, though, I have had no problems with mine.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I have a 2K YZ250 and havn't had any trouble with the bolts working themselves loose. This is the second time I have heard of this happening. Worth checking into a little more.

sraser

May 31, 2001
Thanks for the info guys. I actually got a set of Talon bolts that are supposed to be stronger...so hopefully those work out OK. What special precautions should be taken with titanium bolts?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Sprocket bolts loosen, loc-tite or not. Check them often. This is a comman problem on ALL bikes, sprocket bolts are not prejudice to brand, however a bigger bike with more torque or vibration can accelerate this problem. Check often and be careful!

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Although I probably am not as fast as most of you and do not stress parts of the bike as much , I have never had a problem with sprocket bolts.

These are the things I do and look for when I change sprockets though.
1st of all clean everything well, take a small screwdriver and dig out the allen heads and also a small wire brush and run it over the exposed threads of the bolts on the back side. Spray a little loose juice on them<wd 40, crc etc.> . If you use red loctite<I don't> get out the propane torch and heat up the bolts a bit to break down the loctite. Use a box end wrench and break the nut loose first before you use your allen wrench and spin the bolt out. I have had some older bikes that the hub was actually threaded and the nut was nothing more than to lock it tight. <not a bad idea and I would like to see it more often >

Once you have the sprocket off the hub check it around the bolt holes and see if the aluminum is being pulled out a little bit<most common on threaded holes though> and chamfer the holes a bit if needed. Get your old toothbrush out and clean around that little lip that the sprocket sets around. Take a good look at the hub side of the sprocket and make sure there is no rough/sharp edges that are protruding into the bolt holes of the hub or that center ring. Clean and inspect the bolts for damage and stretching. If you are buying aftermarket bolts make sure that the countersinks are the same angle as the holes in the sprocket. Nylon locknuts should be thrown away after each use, the crimped locknuts every 4 uses<although I don't>

After I know that the sprocket sets flat on the hub and the bolts are sitting in the countersink right, I actually use anti sieze on the bolts. Run the bolts up snug alternating them ie.,run one up snug ,skip one ,snug,skip, snug, 1/2 way across,snug ,skip, snug etc etc. I folow up witha torque wrench when I think I am about close to final torque. Once I have the bike back together I take it for a nice easy ride dragging the brakes to make sure that they feel right I double check the torque , brake clean off the back of the bolts and use the penetrating loc tite on the nuts and bolts.
Now using a torque wrench on bolts that have anti sieze increases the actual tightness of the bolt that is why it is imperative to check for bolt stretching during inspection. I do not have any problem with my bolts coming loose but if I did I would use a paint marker or something and mark the nut and the bolt. That way it would be a lot easier to tell if the bolts are actually loosening or the sprocket,hub and countersunk bolts are just seating themselves. No amount or type of loctite on the bolt /nut is going to cure a problem of the parts seating.

sraser

May 31, 2001
Thanks for the detailed info. I am going to watch these new bolts extra carefully. I have all my new parts ordere and the new wheel will be built by Friday....hopefully I'll be on the track by Saturday morning :aj: Thanks again for the help guys...this site is great

YZBlue

Nov 4, 1999
No problems here with my 2K YZ250. When I installed a Renthal sprocket in place of the stock sprocket, I noticed the factory used blue loctite. I used blue when I swapped sprockets and I haven't had problems. For what it's worth, I did add one tooth when I changed sprockets.

sraser

May 31, 2001
I was actually running a 14/51 (I believe stock is a 14/50) and I loved how it ran. I'm thinking about moving up again to a 14/52...let me know how it turns out.

Top Bottom