2003 RM250 Clutch "jumps" when taking off

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
How's it going everyone? This is my first post on this forum and I am hoping someone can help me.

I tried a search and did not come up with anything that could help my problem.

When I take off from a stand still (no matter what gear 1st or 2nd) my bike "jumps","grabs","chatters". The best way I can describe it is like someone is pulling the lever and letting it go VERY quickly when I go to take off.

This only happens after the bike is warm.

I have replaced the ENTIRE clutch assembly with a HINSON setup. The HINSON setup worked fine for a couple of months then the problem came back. The problem came back during a race where someone fell right in front of me while I was in third gear, I dodged him and tried to take off again but did not down shift. The clutch heated, slipped and the lever developed a lot of play. The clutch has not been right ever since.

I took the clutch apart again. The HINSON components look great, almost new. Nothing is notched.

Fibers and steels are new (OEM). I tried and EBC clutch and the problem was the same.

I think I may have warped my clutch hub....is this possible?

Has anyone else had this happen?

Any help would mean a lot to me

Thanks
Eric

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Eric, is the clutch activated with a rod running through the case??? If so, I wonder if this is messed up, bent , or damaged????

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
I was thinking that could be a possible problem too....but what throws me off is that the clutch is fine when it is cold.

After doing a couple hard laps, stopping and taking off it acts up.

That is why I think it is a clutch hub problem. I was thinking when it heats up the surface that comes in contact with the most innner friction plate becomes uneven. The hub is tightend down to the trans shaft and does not move. Therefore that surface must be perfect.

Also, I have replaced everything else one piece at a time. When I installed the HINSON clutch hub, the problem went away for awhile. Till I screwed it up again by overheating it.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Did you replace the washers in back of the clutch hub? My YZ clutch acted odd until I bought new ones.

You said you have a Hinson clutch. Call them, or e mail. Dont be surprised if they instantly put Brian on the line. He taught me more about clutches in our two minute conversation than I ever wanted to know. Their customer service is excellent. Their parts are expensive, but they will help you.

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
It was the clutch center hub, I replaced it with a new OEM piece. Rode it today and it was great!

Now I have to call HINSON and return my HINSON center hub.

Thanks for the help

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
That is really odd. I am glad you solved the problem. If you think about it, please post after talking to Hinson. I am curious as to what they have to say.

DPR250R

Oct 25, 2004
I called and spoke to Ron. He was very cool and said he would look at it, but could not promise he would replace it for free. Which is very reasonable becuase no business would want to promise something like that without having the part on hand to inspect.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Top Bottom