2004 RM250 gear shifting assembly questions

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
Fiche.gif

1.How do you install#9 without turning #7 & #21?
(that seems to be causing an issue)

2.If #11 & #12 were reversed would that likely cause dropped shifts, popping out of gear?

2004 RM 250 :ride:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
pokemanyz said:
Fiche.gif

1.How do you install#9 without turning #7 & #21?
(that seems to be causing an issue)

2.If #11 & #12 were reversed would that likely cause dropped shifts, popping out of gear?

2004 RM 250 :ride:

I would tighten that bolt with the transmission in first gear.. Then the shift drum should not move.

As for the pawls being installed wrong, yes that could cause the trans to come out of gear.

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
IndyMX said:
I would tighten that bolt with the transmission in first gear.. Then the shift drum should not move.

As for the pawls being installed wrong, yes that could cause the trans to come out of gear.

Thanks, I've been fighting this for a long time. :cool:

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Its usually not a lot of torque on the bolt, blue loctite and a lock washer?.

Yes, it's only 17ft lbs but it turned a lot this time & then upon reassembly wouldn't shift.

I have now split the cases a ridiculous amount of times :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
Update

You can't install #11 & #12 the wrong way & still be able to shift. (I tried real hard)

When I looked at the manual it shows it wrong & so I thought that was where the shifting problem lay. Look at page 8-3 of the Suzuki manual, it clearly shows the pawl with the wide part of the slot facing the wrong direction.
So I thought I had discovered the reason for the shifting troubles.

Now I'm leaning toward the shifter was mounted too high & I was getting incomplete shifts. I took an engine a part that never had a shifting issue & now it has some serious issues.

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Shift fork #3? It does appear its depicted wrong, but the fork will engage the drum only 1 way. Is the trans properly timed; are the shift shaft, shift star and drum all set in neutral? And is #11 installed the correct way? Then that leaves 20/20a to be installed correctly? The shift lever to high, is sort of possible?

pokemanyz

Jan 22, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Shift fork #3? It does appear its depicted wrong, but the fork will engage the drum only 1 way. Is the trans properly timed; are the shift shaft, shift star and drum all set in neutral? And is #11 installed the correct way? Then that leaves 20/20a to be installed correctly? The shift lever to high, is sort of possible?

It shifts great during all stages of assembly. Everything spins & moves just as it should. Right now I just putting the outer clutch cover on. I can put the shifter on & it'll shift just fine. It did all this before though.

I even ran it up & down the the street & it shifted just fine through all gears. I'm putting it all together again & will test it out.

Top Bottom