YZ Dirt GUy

Mar 12, 2009
I just bought a used 2004 Yamaha YZ250F and my friend helped me out by draining the oil and taking out the oil filter, but he does not remember which way to put the new oil filter back in and the manual does me no good either. I need some help figuring out which end of the oil filter goes against the engine or the cap? Any help would be great.
Thanks.

YZ Dirt GUy

Mar 12, 2009
I'm just a little confused, because both ends have a rubber seal. This bike has not spring between cap and filter. Are you saying the open ended part of the filter goes into the engine first?

NuMtrHd

Apr 29, 2007
YZ250F Oil Filter

I don't know if the 2004 is much different than my 2001, but there was only one side with an O-ring seal on it, and that is the open side. The open side goes in first (so the oil can flow throught the filter), and the solid cap side goes out. I hope this helps.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
NuMtrHd said:
I don't know if the 2004 is much different than my 2001, but there was only one side with an O-ring seal on it, and that is the open side. The open side goes in first (so the oil can flow throught the filter), and the solid cap side goes out. I hope this helps.

Both ends of the filter have a seal on them. The open end goes towards the filter cap. Yamaha didn't start building the yz250f untill 2002, and they have not changed much.

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
Not sure if you have this taken care of or not yet, but on all the yammies I've owned the cap for the oil filter has like a finger on the end of it and the oil filter has an opening on only one side. It can only be installed one way.

It pretty much won't be close to fitting if you put the filter in backwards.

Top Bottom