Moto Man26

Aug 6, 2006
Hey everyone, I just finished rebuilding the motor on my yz250... After assembling the motor, I checked the compression, and I got 170psi cold. That number should be alright? I assume that it will be a bigger number than that when the motor is hot. If so, how much do you estimate... Also for the break-in process, I'll be using a mixture of 20:1, and after the break-in, I'll go to 32:1. Is that ok? Any help will be appreciated!! :cool: :ride: :) :boss: ;)

Lopezracing3

Feb 25, 2008
When i build my engine after my races i use 32:1 mixture when i break it in and it has worked for me and i break it in for 5 to 8 hours

Moto Man26

Aug 6, 2006
Ok thanks... But for the compression, do you think it's ok? I assume that it will go up after the break-in process? :cool: :cool:

Lopezracing3

Feb 25, 2008
yea it should go up after u break it in but that compression is real good for a new rebuild. most stock bikes have about 140 to 150 psi after it is broken in.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Don't use 20:1 it's too much oil and will cause your motor to run hot during break in. Run 32:1 and youll be fine and as for break in no really high rpm's and make sure theres load on the motor. Finding an uphill road or something to burn up and down for an hour is good to start. After that you can ride it like normal. Just make sure the rpm's are varied at all times during break in.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
20:1 is OK for breakin IF that is what you want to use. Most of us just use the gas/oil mix we are going to run; i.e. 32:1 or whatever you are normally going to use.
do a search for break in procedures. I normally start the bike and warm it up blipping the throttle a bit and not riding it the first time. Once completely warm, stop and let cool completely. Then start and ride low rpms for 10 minutes or so until completely warm. Let cool completely. Then a third time with mid rpms. Let cool again. Recheck head torque and you're good to go.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom