Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
Hey guys, I just got an 07 250SX, I am in love, sickest bike I have been on and I have ridden Honda 2ts, 4ts/Kawi 2ts/Suzuki 2ts, 4ts/Yamaha 2ts, 4ts.

Anyway what is your guys' opinion on the 60:1 ratio, my friends and I were tripped out about it. The bike on the stock jetting is running rich on 60:1 as I see some spooge coming out of the silencer and I can just feel it.

My concern is engine longevity with 60:1, should I be fine or should I jet it for something like 50:1 or 40:1? I appreciate your help! I am a total newb when it comes to jetting. :think:

Avena Quaker

Dec 9, 2004
The manual states 60:1 when using high quality syntetic oil, if that is what you use.. then stick with it. KTM engineers must have their reasons to recomend that.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Well the bike is running rich at 60:1 so you need to go lower with the ratio/ more oil. I don't know bro but for me Id have to play it safe with a lower ratio. It realy depends on what kinda riding your gona do, for trails a higher ratio would be fine but if your going MX and going to stay on the pipe you realy need a lower ratio to keep that thing lubed, better safe than sorry.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
I use Mobil 1 2t oil, from what I have read, it is one of the best. I don't do MX or race. I think my jetting is off, I read that the bike is jetted for 1600ft and 68 degrees. I am at 2100ft and I am assuming I need to lean it out a bit on the main needle, now how I go about that? I am confused, new to jetting.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Do some searches for jetting. There is an abundance of jetting info allready out there!

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
FWIW-

I have an 07 200 xc-w and it's mixed at 50:1 and uses Maxima Super M synthetic. I took it to a KTM dealer and he re-jetted it from a 42 to 40 pilot jet and moved the needle clip up one position.

Since it's a new bike, I went with the manufacturer's suggestions for oil ratio had the jetting adjusted accordingly.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Do not mess with oil ratios to compensate for jetting or ignition problems! Spooge is unburn't products you are chugging in the gas tank! Too much fuel,crappy fuel and engine issues are where spooge come from. You can safely follow oem guidelines and jet your bike properly,quality fuel and timing on ,and, no spooge,no more rolling epa hazard! Funnier are 4strokes blowing spooge,unless it has forced intake pressure!

Oldman125

Jul 1, 2006
KTM no doubt based the ratio on piston/cylinder quality and emissions, a balance of the two or just likes to run lean oil ratios. I couldn't run 60:1 myself, I prefer 32:1 or 40:1 depending on the size of the engine and the applied use.
KTMs are very durable though, there is good R&D in the product.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
trailqueen said:
FWIW-

I have an 07 200 xc-w and it's mixed at 50:1 and uses Maxima Super M synthetic. I took it to a KTM dealer and he re-jetted it from a 42 to 40 pilot jet and moved the needle clip up one position.

Since it's a new bike, I went with the manufacturer's suggestions for oil ratio had the jetting adjusted accordingly.

Thanks for that input. Is your altitude and ambient temps different than 68F and 1600FT? Thanks.

Thanks for the info and help guys. I did do a lot of research on jetting, I think I could do it now. I am going to drop the needle/move the clip up one. I think my main jet is fine, my problems are from 1/4 to 3/4 throttle which is the needle itself or it's position. But I think that pilot jet might be off too because it sputters when the RPMs go back down to idle and with each sputter a little plume of smoke comes out.

trailqueen

Dec 30, 2006
Thanks for that input. Is your altitude and ambient temps different than 68F and 1600FT?
Y'now, I never asked him about the temp. I'm def lower altitude than 1600 feet. NYC is about 100 ft above sea level and even though I'm 350 +- miles north and at the base of the Catskill Mtns, I'm probably only 500-600 ft above sea level.

RedBull

Viva La Revolucion!
Nov 14, 2001
well i was comming on here to ask about the ratio to the 07sx250 as its my 1st 2 stroke in 4 years and ktm ever but you beat me to it. I fell the same im a lil weirded out by the 60:1 deal but i think ill go for it and see how it works out i meen even if i do put a hole in my piston it wont be a few grand to fix

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
RedBull said:
well i was comming on here to ask about the ratio to the 07sx250 as its my 1st 2 stroke in 4 years and ktm ever but you beat me to it. I fell the same im a lil weirded out by the 60:1 deal but i think ill go for it and see how it works out i meen even if i do put a hole in my piston it wont be a few grand to fix

I run 50:1 with Mobil 1 MX2T. on my 03 SX.

Rhein

Jul 17, 2006
HiG4s said:
I run 50:1 with Mobil 1 MX2T. on my 03 SX.

I read a lot that with a very high quality synthetic 2t premix oil 60:1 is fine. I am going to go 50:1 just for peace of mind though. I am trying Motorex Cross Power 2t and then Mobil 1 Racing 2t. I tried 50:1 on my last ride and it was great, it actually felt a tiny bit better I guess.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
As some here know, I was involved with (the company I worked for) some two stroke oil testing years ago. Mostly ratio/power, but some wear issues also.

We found that more oil makes more power up to 8 to 1 but 16 to 1 ran best all around. Less oil produces more wear. 32 to 1 was enough to protect under all conditions. 50 to 1 provided nearly the same protection, except under extreme (high RPM/load) conditions. 100 to 1 resulted in more wear. If I remember correctly, quite a bit more.

However that was years ago, my memory may not be not 100% accurate and today's oils are probably better by quite a bit.

Still, I use Mobil 1 MX2t (Mobil 1 racing 2t) at 32 to 1 with stellar results.

I have proven to myself that this combo results in the longest engine life I have ever seen in my particular batch of engines, I have quite a few!

Chris

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
cujet said:
As some here know, I was involved with (the company I worked for) some two stroke oil testing years ago. Mostly ratio/power, but some wear issues also.

We found that more oil makes more power up to 8 to 1 but 16 to 1 ran best all around. Less oil produces more wear. 32 to 1 was enough to protect under all conditions. 50 to 1 provided nearly the same protection, except under extreme (high RPM/load) conditions. 100 to 1 resulted in more wear. If I remember correctly, quite a bit more.

However that was years ago, my memory may not be not 100% accurate and today's oils are probably better by quite a bit.

Still, I use Mobil 1 MX2t (Mobil 1 racing 2t) at 32 to 1 with stellar results.

I have proven to myself that this combo results in the longest engine life I have ever seen in my particular batch of engines, I have quite a few!

Chris

Surprised Rich did not jump in here as he loves oil threads, :laugh:
If I never came to this forum and talked to Rich and his gang I would be still in the dark. I am an oil Junky.
I have about 40 RM85 and 100 bid bore pistons in a box. My son is Mr destructo. Now on a KTM 250 SX, I can say that in those extreme conditions 16 -20:1 is ideal. With good oil and jetting there is not problem getting a bike dialed in on those ratios. KTM's 60:1 claim may be true to a point but it is another form of Marketing no mater how you read it. KTM uses higher quality components so 60:1 is OK... BS.
Tel a 125 Shifter kart guy that even with his almost unlimited budget for the best parts.
60:1. 80:1 , 100:1 Does not yield the best balance in longevity or performance among the masses regardless of what is published by the marketing folk.

I still cannot dial in an oil as easily as Phillips Xamax, I am a dealer and can get all oils at a discount and I am tired of trying all the oils out there. Some are close equals but over all very few compare. Mobil is close except for octane reduction, Rock Oil 2t is close but a tad dirty with slow riders, Motoul is OK, Amsoil Dominator is a close second. this goes on as the box of pistons grows...................

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom