mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
My son has a 2011 YZF450. It runs great, always has. But of late when the fuel gets low it starts to cut out. When I say low it just has the fuel pump assembly covered. So its not really that low. I would guess at lease 2 quarts. It has an oversize tank. I am not up on fuel injection so I really don't know what to look for. What could be the cause?

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
Whatever it is its getting worse. After about an about 80-90min it starts cutting out. Hard to tell if its electrical or a fuel delivery problem.

Garrett11450

Jun 30, 2013
I've been having the same problems out of my 2011 yz450f to, and as of late its gotten worse!!! I raced an enduro last weekend, and after about 3/4 through the second loop it started to cut out when coming out of turns while dropping the clutch. I thought maybe I was out of fuel, so I pulled of the trail to look....and still half full. Took awhile to get it back going.....then it died again, this time it wouldn't start ( pushing through the woods ensue's :yell: ). I never finished the race ( bummer ). So I called my locate Yam shop for some advice ( mind you the people that own the shop are personal friends, so no B.S. ) he asked me if I had changed the plug, as this can make the EFI bikes cut out due to a fouled plug. He also said that the plug can be fouled even if it still looks good ( lean fouled ). He said start with the free stuff, spark plug, type of fuel...no ethanol b.s., air filter, air box, and TPS is clean. If all of those things check out, then bring it in. Hope we can figure this out cause its scary not knowing if the bikes gonna cut out on the face of a jump!

mideastrider

~SPONSOR~
Jul 8, 2006
We got it fixed it was the fuel pump. Installed a new fuel pump and no more problems.
What you describe sounds exactly the same as what our 450 was doing.

May 14, 2018
hey guys i am having what sounds like the same issues on my 2011 and was wanting to know if you had to get a whole new fuel pump? When i was searching fuel pumps i seen where they were from $40 to $400. thanks

Top Bottom