Sep 28, 2016
I'm a little bit puzzled with the tune on my bike. Running extremely rich at 50-100% throttle. Should be a main jet concern I assume. Idles fine with a stock pilot jet and air screw at stock position. It's a freshly rebuilt bottom and supposedly has about three hours on it. Fresh plug, pro circuit pipe and moose filter. I figured with a stock 172 main jet it would run lean with the mods. It currently has a 160 and is still running extremely rich. Also running 40:1 on my fuel mix. I haven't messed with the jetting yet but wondering if I should be looking for anything else before I start.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
How are you determining that the jetting is rich from half to full throttle?

Sep 28, 2016
Lack of power and a LOT of smoke. A lot more than it should. I can run it at idle or quarter throttle for about 30 minutes and the plug comes out clean. Get on it for about 5 minutes and it'll bog down til the plug gets coated in oil. Only did that once with the new plug.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
What you are describing sounds like a leaky crank seal on the right hand side of the crank. It sounds like it's pulling in oil from the gearbox and burning it. A leaky head gasket can have similar symptoms. Is the smoke white (most likely coolant) or blueish(likely gear oil) ?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
That would be the logical place to start. Look for damage on the crank end where the seal lip rides. If the crank is worn in that area a new seal can't cure it.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
If you are comfortable with auto engines then this will be a breeze for you. The same basic rules apply, the details are just a little different. Think of this like the timing cover front seal on a V8. The approach to getting a good oil tight seal is the same.

Sep 28, 2016
Yeah, I've done plenty of rear main seals on automotive engines. Knicks on the crank can cause big sealing issues. I appreciate the input. I'll try and get it pulled apart tonight and see what's going on.

Top Bottom