sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I have a chance to pick up a 96 cr500 for what i think is a pretty decent price. I am just curious if anyone has any input on that years CR500 and anything i should really look for? Also what should this year sell for, i dont know much about 500's so i figured this would be a decent place to ask. I figured I could use it for the winter in my area because thats when i mostly ride open fields and such. Plus I got a spare set of tires that are studded up for the snow. Hope someone can help me out

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
I had a 89? or 90? for a while and it was a beast. It vibrated like a harley but had a lot of power. It also was pretty much the same speed as a 250 due to trans ratios. I found out for me personally that there wasn't anything I couldn't do faster on a 250 and I wouldn't get vibrated to death. Except for sanddunes but I haven't done that in years. I only weigh 165 though. I figured they are a big guy's bike. I think it's probably reliable as an anvil but I had the crank bearings go out on mine and take the stator with it. My fault for not checking them before it happened.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
any other input on this bike? How much should i look to spend as well? Would like to hear some more details please.

MUSCLEHEAD

Aug 6, 2005
I am not to sure about CR"S but I have a kx the man is right they do vibrate more(twice the engine) I weigh 210 220 lbs and it is hard to start at times. You definatly have to get the knack of it. From what I understand each 500 has its own glich to get started. Ask whoever is selling the way theyb start it.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i have no problems with starting a 500, would just like infor on this year if anyone has it

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Big bores go pretty inexpensively because there are so few people who want to ride them. Look around at the Cycle Trader online or E bay. You'll probably find a decent selection of big bores in decent shape for under $2000.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
If the 500 has the original bore it will have shallow decompression grooves above the exhaust which make the bike easier to kick over. My 96 CR5 has been bored (by EG) and the grooves were left out (at my request). I'm 5'11', 160 pounds and have no problem cranking my machine.

Starting procedure for a cold CR5: Turn gas on, pull out choke knob, lay bike on ground for 3 or 4 seconds and then pick it up. This puts a small amount of gas into the bottom of the motor and makes it much easier to start. A small amount of gas should flow out of the overflow tubes when you pick the bike back up. Slowly push the kickstart lever through several times. Next, find the start of the compression stroke and then let the kickstart lever all the way back up. Take up slack and then kick it through hard while just barely cracking the throttle. Two or three kicks and it should fire right up. Immediately modulate the choke off and on until it runs clean.

If you stall it hot, put it in neutral before you try to crank it. It can be started in gear but it is MUCH harder.

Mine has the EG Mo Better port job, Jeremy Wilks suspension, a Steahly flywheel weight, brush guards, Boyesen reeds and a skid plate. I run stock gearing. This bike will putt around all day like an XR and never foul a plug. Want to go faster just crack the throttle a little more. I came directly off of an 89 XR250 to my CR5 and will never go back.

IMO you simply cannot get more performance coupled with less maintenance than in a CR5. (not counting tire and chain replacement.)

CR5: If there is noise coming out of the pipe, its in the powerband.

spiracing

Feb 24, 2005
Buy the 500. They do take a certain mojo to start, BUT once its running, NOTHING will touch you except anther 500. 100 yard stright is all you need to pay for any mistakes you made.

Frozen lake..600 cc slead will take you, but trail ride on hard pack and your back.

David Greathouse ran a KX 500 with the IDBA and ran FF/SS with it. He set the National record at 10.26 @ 126 MPH. Pipe,carb,street tires and a wheelie bar. My brother ran my 500 while we were testing the drag bike. Bone stock 17 days old. He went 13.54 @ 100.3.

Ive had mine 20 years. I dont moto, Im tool old, the bike has bicycle type frame and suspension, but the only hills I dont climb are cause of my talent not lack of power.
Rick

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
Mine started easy but it took a body kick instead of a leg kick. No half azz 125 kicks or you will be there all day.

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
I ride mainly in open woods and rarely get much off the idle jet. Short shift and use the low end torque works for me. You can run pretty fast using this method and the vibration is not bad at low rpms. If I try to ride it like a 250 and rev it a bit it hurts me...BAD.

One other tip, put in a set of the optional steel clutch plates if they haven't already been installed. The oil will stay much cleaner. You use the clutch a lot on the 500 to modulate the power.

motonuts

Sep 5, 2005
i had a 93 cr 500 and i sold it for 2300 2 years ago. it takes a strong full kick to start,and she shakes. racing desert was a blast, no hill was too big. it would wheelie all the way to the top, but a handful at the local track. still a good bike, depends
on where you ride.

Aug 26, 2005
I met a guy with a CR500 at my local riding spot the other day, small dude too, he was probably 5'9" and 145 lbs tops. He was terrified of it! He said he wanted to sell it for $1600 and go get a 125 2-stroke. I had a quick moment of temptation when I heard the price and saw the good condition, but basically I am already up to my neck with the 250!! :yikes: He bought it because it was a good deal, tons of power for the money, but it is simply too much for some people. He definitely had his front end in the air a lot!! It was one fast mofo and bone stock.

If you are willing to find/go to the appropriate places to ride such a beast, there is nothing else like it from what I've told, and I believe it. Short shifting the brute will take advantage of the powerband and not scare you to death. Sure the handling/suspension haven't really been updated for many years (although the major companies COULD engineer it to be up to date with the latest, greatest 4-pukes) but then again, check out most bikes from ~10 years ago and see how they compete. There are always aftermarket options for the suspension anyway. As long as you know what you are getting into (rocketship acceleration and 100 mph capabilty stock!) then you can't beat the bang/buck value.

BTW, I remember an old mag test where they compared the CR500 vs the Interceptor 500 street bike, the CR won the 1/4 mile!! I am sure the ET was well into the 12s and the trap speed was 100-102 mph or so. Impressive!

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
i'm not affraid of it by any means, i was just trying to get some info on this speciffic year before i jump into anything. I still may pick it up but i dont know yet, i have to figure out a few things still cause i just bought a wrecked street bike that i am going to fix up.

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
ETS said:
I had a 89? or 90? for a while and it was a beast. It vibrated like a harley but had a lot of power. It also was pretty much the same speed as a 250 due to trans ratios. I found out for me personally that there wasn't anything I couldn't do faster on a 250 and I wouldn't get vibrated to death. Except for sanddunes but I haven't done that in years. I only weigh 165 though. I figured they are a big guy's bike. I think it's probably reliable as an anvil but I had the crank bearings go out on mine and take the stator with it. My fault for not checking them before it happened.
No offense, your 500 was probably clapped out if a 250 is faster. :) My 89 CR500 blows past a 99Rm250 rung out in 5th...I was only in 4th heading into 5th. Yes the do vibrate a little...too much and there my be a problem with the low end. To deaden the existing vibes...fill the bars with sand and cap off the ends with silicone. Buy the 500, you wont regret it! They are a blast. You can john deere em or crack the throttle and turn into a dirt missle.

Starting procedure:
turn choke on and gas
give her 3-4 sissy kicks to prime the cylinder
Bring the kicker all the way to its resting position while on the compression stroke. Then with a good fast hard boot...she will light off. Gotta put some back into it.
*leave the throttle alone while doing this little ritual or you'll defeat any efforts. Leave the throttle closed so the vacuum to the carbs circuits work properly. The only time you want to open the throttle during a start is if you flooded it, then you'll hold it wot while kicking. Goog luck............. :aj:

Last edited:

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
If your that serious about a 500 you can get a brand new one from service honda. They stuff a 500 motor into a crf250 frame. The bike makes 60hp!!! It probably handles awesome to for a 500 if its in that frame.

97Gasgas250

Aug 24, 2004
I just stepped up to a 500 from a 250. I'll never go back! It's torquey like a 4-stroke in the lower RPM's, but when you crack the throttle, the 2-stroke hit is there.

The motor does have an effect on the chassis when turning (at least mine does). The rotating mass of the crank/piston has a gyro effect in that the bike wants to go straight no matter what. I've changed my riding style to counteract this. Just apply slight front brake pressure & slide the rear with the throttle.

BTW: I'm 5'9" & weight 155lbs. Starting is no problem if you follow the proper steps.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
97Gasgas250 said:
I just stepped up to a 500 from a 250. I'll never go back! It's torquey like a 4-stroke in the lower RPM's, but when you crack the throttle, the 2-stroke hit is there.

The motor does have an effect on the chassis when turning (at least mine does). The rotating mass of the crank/piston has a gyro effect in that the bike wants to go straight no matter what. I've changed my riding style to counteract this. Just apply slight front brake pressure & slide the rear with the throttle.

BTW: I'm 5'9" & weight 155lbs. Starting is no problem if you follow the proper steps.
what year 500 did you go with? I am more concerned if there are any problems with this year CR before i purchase. I am still keeping my 99 rm250 but i just wanted any info on this year cr500 :bang:

magneto

Nov 14, 2001
Mine is a 1996 model, the same as what you are looking at. It has a LOT of hours on it and has been pretty much bulletproof. Check out the usual items before you buy. (swing arm and linkage for play, sprockets and chain for wear, suspension for leaks, etc...)

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The CR500 engines from 1989 to 2001 are almost identical and VERY durable. There are no known problems with them, at least as far as I know.

ETS

Apr 13, 2000
My 500 wasn't clapped out. It had a fresh top end since the piston skirt was cracked when I bought it. It was a runner but it seemed to have the exact same top end as the 250. It wouldn't touch my XR600's top end and it shouldn't without some gearing. I woudln't pay anymore than 1400 for a decent 96' cr500 but then again I couldn't give mine away in 94' when it was 5 years old. I think I got 1500 for it back then and all the dealers said it looks like a great bike but we can't get rid of them. I'd rather give 2500 for a much more modern 01' 380sx or mxc.

91kx

Mar 6, 2004
In 93 they went back to the taller 4th and 5th gears that the bike had in 88.89-92 had shorter top gears.Dirtbike magazine did a test in 99 with a gps showing the cr5 at 89mph and the kx5 at 86.there is no way any of the 250's I've owned or ridden would get anywhere close to that.A few issues later they showed a yz 250 at 77mph.This was all stock gearing.

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
mtk said:
The CR500 engines from 1989 to 2001 are almost identical and VERY durable. There are no known problems with them, at least as far as I know.
Ditto, they are very reliable = less time wrenching/more time riding. Well built machines. Use a good quality premix 32:1 to 44:1 and good tranny oil and she'll love ya back. You should rebuild your top end/crank seals every year depending on how much you ride. Stock is beautiful on a CR500....the are still very fast and dead reliable. My 01 CR500 is stock and it will still bury the funmeter. If you do buy it and want a good mod. Throw a PWK 39.5 mm in place of the stock PJ 38 mm (Pro-flo.com has em for cheap). It will idle cleaner and will have better throttle response...runs a lot better! Not to mention give you 3 more hp. Then suspension........reed block.....pipe......porting. Not in that order, you get the idea. Hope you get it. They are so much fun! Here are my two....
MVC-006S.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom