Sep 1, 2019
Hi folks,

I recently purchased a Honda CR80 from a friend. It was sitting in a shed for 3 years and was beat pretty hard in the past I believe. I took the opportunity to get my first bike for cheap knowing I would have to fork out some cash on it. The main issue I found was that the crankshaft seal on the clutch case side was shot so I replaced it the bike started to run ( did not even idle when I got it). The issue I am having now is that when at WOT it revs high but then start to bog down it only happens on WOT. The lower RPM range is fairly clean and responsive but if i go WOT it goes up and then falls off hard. I have check the main jet, primary jet and float bowl height as well. Any ideas you guys can come up with will be much appreciated !

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
Hi folks,

I recently purchased a Honda CR80 from a friend. It was sitting in a shed for 3 years and was beat pretty hard in the past I believe. I took the opportunity to get my first bike for cheap knowing I would have to fork out some cash on it. The main issue I found was that the crankshaft seal on the clutch case side was shot so I replaced it the bike started to run ( did not even idle when I got it). The issue I am having now is that when at WOT it revs high but then start to bog down it only happens on WOT. The lower RPM range is fairly clean and responsive but if i go WOT it goes up and then falls off hard. I have check the main jet, primary jet and float bowl height as well. Any ideas you guys can come up with will be much appreciated !
Check for air leaks every where, intake manifold, crank seals, cylinder base gasket and the cylinder head, air leaks are a no-no.....

Sep 1, 2019
Check for air leaks every where, intake manifold, crank seals, cylinder base gasket and the cylinder head, air leaks are a no-no.....

I just realized last night that my crank seal might be the wrong way in ! But this is how I was shown to do it in the Clymers service manual.. Hoping I don't need to take apart the right case again
crank seal.jpg

The Redrider

Jun 14, 2019
I just realized last night that my crank seal might be the wrong way in ! But this is how I was shown to do it in the Clymers service manual.. Hoping I don't need to take apart the right case again View attachment 20535
If the clutch side seal was in wrong, you would know when its running it would blow smoke, tons of smoke. You should be ok. check all your carb jets for cleanliness, fresh fuel, no clogs in the pipe, muffler. Check the airfilter for cleanliness, make sure your spark plug is fresh and torqued snug. No gasket leaks. Its pretty easy to get going. keep at it bro, you will be roosting in no time!!!=):$

Top Bottom