BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Went out to the river again, the snow had just melted, and there was ice on the ground in places, a brisk wind was blowing, and the trails were a bit muddy.

Took a ride off to the hills were there are some rocky outcrops. Last time I was there a guy on a DRZ400E had tried to get up to the cave and had made it half way (the DRZ is a very good climbing bike), and the guy had challenged me to give it a go (as my bike had the trials engine !), and had declined the challenge. This time with just my son by my side, and some people up at the cave, I gave it a bash, as it was slick and muddy at the bottom, I had to ride in first and just putted on up, carving my way up to the halfway mark where my buddy had got stuck, without slowing, I just eased on up the hardest part, up, up and away we went, no hesitation, no big fight, just rode on up to the cave. Last week when I was there I had thought I could make it, did not need an audience for my first bash, this time I was just amazed at how easy it was. I can bet my buddies in their full sized MX bikes would have been dumbfounded :)

I like this little bike, more and more, every time I ride it. :cool:

Gas Gas Pampera 280

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
You make me laugh; it's SO great to hear how much you like your bike! Katie and I had to bail on a Pampera ride this weekend due to freezing temperatures, snow, and wind gusts up to 70 mph. :eek: A trip to Amarillo was sounding pretty good. Glad you got out and enoyed it! :) The Pampera is headed to the Reno Spodefest next weekend so it'll be interesting to get other folks' impressions afterwards!

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Went out and checked some of the trails for the Amarillo Spodefest March 8/9/10 with Trailryder42. This guy is good, and he took me on some pretty gnarly trails, river crossings, steep inclines, and some intermediate technical stuff, not for the novice, or those who like the flat fast stuff. This was heart in your mouth hang on all your brakes stuff, commit to a hill and keep going stuff, and the Pampera kicked @ss, especially mine, had a bit of a tumble going down a steep riverbank, hit my chest on the bars, and was winded for about five minutes - was seeing stars. Other than that this bike took everything thrown at it and did so in its stride with ease.

I was really impressed with Derek Turner who was showing me the way, he is pretty quick, and has a very smooth riding style, made everything look easy on that XR400.

By the end of the day, I was managing to be a lot quicker, was tearing down the hills, and ripping up the steep hills, the bike has very good gearing, most of the hills I was riding in 2nd and 3rd, the Pampera has plenty of power.

The only thing I found strange was that if I touched the rear brake in 3rd or 2nd, I would kill the bike, and it would not just roll on and restart, had to stop and kick, only once did I get the bump start right, this bike has torque and then some. Some of the very steep banks, I would just pull the clutch and jump on the rear brake, and ride on down, worked for me.

The best thing, the bike is very manageable, for a short guy like myself, the bike did everything I asked and then some.

I am going to have a whale of a time at the Amarillo Fest.

:p

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think a real trials tire on the rear would make this thing about perfect. The seat seemed a touch low for me but I'm use to +36" and think I could adjust since I'm about 5'10"ish.

Attachments

• pamp280.jpg
    pamp280.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 273

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Did you get a new toy Pat, or were you just trying it out ?

Alan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I tripped over it at the Central Texas 2 Day Trial. One of the GG dealers had it there with their trials bikes. I may need to give one some serious thought though they are really cool and more than able to do what 90% of woods riders/racers need.:cool:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Pampera update !

Had the P280 at the weekend Amarillo Heartland spode fest, and there were some really gnarly trails attempted. One of the trails I had ridden before had some really steep downhills and drop off, something you would not want to ride up. On Sunday I rode the trail backwards by mistake, and had to face some of these monster hills, loose rock, pebbly sand, and the GG was amazing, in one section I had to stay in 1st and putt my way up, stop, change line, and keep going, the Pampera did all with ease. One hill I did not have much of a run up, got 6 feet up the bank and decided to stop, without highsiding, or falling over, I managed to turn the bike left, drop the front down, turn around and ride down, with a little more space I was able to haul on up and out of there. The torque on this bike is amazing, on some hills I could just keep it in 2nd or 3rd and just power on up, no bogging or stalling, just keep the power on and keep going.

On another ride we came up against a steep rock face with an almost 6 feet vertical climb to a ledge and then a turn and climb over a 2 foot step. We stopped, checked it out, decided I could do it and gave it a bash, I had about 20 feet of run up to work with, had just enough time to put the bike in 1st, get my feet on the pegs, stand up and hit the rock face, and we sailed on up. my brother on the KDX200 decided to put sense before bravery and found a way around the obstacle. I am barely an intermediate rider, but this bike makes me feel like so much more. It definitely gives me the confidence to try even more tougher and challenging rides.

Till next time, Pampamperaaaaaah :)

NukEmAll

Mar 11, 2001
Forgive me for getting Offtopic but Patman, is the trials event you were talking about the one at City Park by Austin that was about a month ago? I remember seeing that pampera sitting there just like in the picture! Maybe I saw you there and I didn't even know...

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
200 pounds wet, make sure you get to ride one first, it is smaller than a full size bike, I may have to go get me a plusher seat cushion, this one is as hard as a plank, and a tad low for me. After riding my brothers KDX I can appreciate a wider, fuller, softer seat form. Other than that, this bike is as near perfect as one can get.

Top Bottom