vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
just curious if there's any TM owners out there?

I own an '02 TM250 4-Stroke & just wanted to get some feedback from other TM owners on how they like their bikes plus if they've had any reliability issues.

I've set mine up for Moto(removed lights,etc.)& got a fair number of hard hours on it & outside of some clutch fade(I've learned to stay off it,it's a magura btw)it's been great,had a clamp come loose on the carb to cylinder boot,otherwise everythings stayed nice & tight.Maintainance is simple & straight forward,starting is a non-issue whether cold or hot & Engine runs great...could use a bit more boost but I hear they're working on that before they will import the MX version of the 250 Thumper to the states.Working on this bike you can see it's not a cookie cutter production line motorcycle.The fit of some things are very one offish which can be a pain at times but upon disassembling you can see that a lot of thought & care was also put into it such as grease,components,etc.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Great bikes
Our 97 125 should be ready for the bone yard but it is great. Attention to detail and ease of service is great. I did alot of repairs like swing arm and linkage rebuild, trans bearings, Crank bearings and the Eric gorr 150 kit. Parts are easy to get, most are stocked locally and the prices are much cheaper than when I redid a 91 KTM 250 2 years ago.

Yeah where is Cam?????

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Mine is running great also.. No problems here! I checked the valve clearances after about 20 - 25 hours, and they're still near perfect, no adjustments required.

Did you put it on a scale yet vntgmx?

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
no scale yet...trust me it's quite a bit heavier then a YZ250F...I have one of those too & I'd say it's a good 15lbs difference....not a problem when moving though..I love it....just would want to see them shave a little weight & boost the power just a touch w/o changing the powerband.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
What is the powerband like on the tm250 four stroke? One thing that looks intriguing to me is that the bore and stroke is similar to a xr250 honda (i.e. it doesn't have a really short stroke to make it scream like a 2 stroke).

thanks,
jeff
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products and Services

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
well it's definitely more of a traditional type of 4-Stroke powerband especially when compared to the YZF...it'll rev out but not nearly as far & the results are nothing like a YZF...I actually prefer the TM powerband but wish it had just a litlle more omph within it's current power spread...

chasejj

Nov 29, 2001
My TM 400 runs excellent and actually seems to get stronger every ride. But since my head on crash it has been in for some repairs and a very expensive Emig lower triple clamp.
I hear you about the fit and finish. Since my bike is COMPLETELY apart.(I got the frame back from the Powder Coaters today and it looks awesome!) I will be attending to those issues: taps through everything, greasing everything and a new aluminum rear subframe(not because of the crash, more because I am obsessed with this thing) that hopefully will fit better and save 2 lbs..
Overall, I love the bike! I don't know that if I had to buy a new one today I would do any different.
If TM comes out with the rumored e-start and EFI 530 I know they are testing in Europe I will buy another in a heartbeat. It is sort of like owning a Ducati 888 back when it meant something. :aj:

TM-Frank

Dec 15, 2000
Originally posted by chasejj
...It is sort of like owning a Ducati 888 back when it meant something...

Some people say that meant one was a complete idiot with too much money on his hands.

Back to TM: I have experienced clutch problems on the 2002 300. TM changed some clutch parts (in 99 I think) in order to get space for one more friction plate and one more steel plate. One of these changes were pretty thin steel plates (compared to those they used in my 96 model).
Result in my cluch was warped steel plates after a few weeks.
Anybody else had this?

Last edited:

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Nope, but lately I've noticed a bit of clutch drag that wasn't there before.. It may just be me though, as I slightly bent the clutch lever upwards and it may be hitting my fingers more than before.

vntgmx

Nov 12, 2001
as I stated above mine's been prone to clutch fade & basically you have to learn to stay off of it...not sure if it's the plates & internals or the magura acting up...gonna bleed the hydraulic clutch & see if it cures it....raced it again yesterday in wicked oppressive heat & on a rough rutted track & I gotta tell you this bike really helps keep you going...it just doesn't beat me up & keeps you moving forward....I ran into the rear tire of someone in the first turn who decided to stop(lord knows why)dropped it but kept it running & started next to last out of sixteen & worked my way up to 6th at the finish & I wasn't wiped out at the end & was right on the 5th place's guy rear end at the checkers....good stuff the TM is...

Top Bottom