mx438

Dec 30, 2002
I was wondering if anyone out there had seen thicker base gaskets for sale. I would like to see for myself how much of a difference this would make to the port timing, and I hate the idea of doubling up gaskets. Would using a head milled to compensate for the compression loss of the thicker base gasket be a good idea? I am looking for more top end power from my 2000 CR125. I have already matched my transfer ports and helped flow around the boost port, as well as adding the powervalve stop pin bushing with a 7mm o.d. If anyone has any other engine tips for this bike I would be interested in hearing them.

David Trustrum

~SPONSOR~
Jan 25, 2001
Doubling up base gaskets works just fine, do it all the time (you could 3Bond them together if you are doubtful). However you can run a plate cut from ally with a gasket on either side if going for extreme height change, which you won’t be.

As an experiment yes it is easy, but the change in compression alters two variables (but you could machine the head as you suggest, however you can’t go back then).

Another temporary experiment in the bad old days was to file the front of the piston to give more exhaust duration without increase in transfer. Problem is newer pistons have the ring close to the top of the piston & removing any metal from there is a bit dodgy & while you might get away with it for a dyno run to indicate if you can raise the port, I wouldn’t want to run the piston this way for very long at all.

This is why tuners like E.Gorr start to look favourably cheap as you are paying for their R&D time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom