Best Piston Choice for YZ250(and others)

wardd

Aug 17, 2000
I'm nearing the point where I'll be replacing the top end on my 2001 YZ250. What's the best choice for a piston replacement? Would it be better to go with OEM or an aftermarket?

I'm sure not all pistons are created equally.
Thanks...
Wardd.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
You will get different opinions on this one (this is mine). Wiesco is good as long as you have proper clearances, follow the directions, and be careful breaking it in. OEM, and Vertex are less sensitive (and good) alternatives. Wiesco is lighter (but I doubt you'll notice the difference). I've read many debates on the longevity of Wiesco verses Stock. I don't know which one last longer myself. I think Vertex lasts as long as either one of these but I'm sure somebody will disagree with me. This is just my .02

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
If I remember well, top tuners concluded that the Wiseco came on top for longevity but as a trade off, you have to be very careful during the first heating cycles. OEM was second in longevity. Vertex was last and would be the first to crack at the skirt when you keep it too long. Vertex would be a good piston to use if you know you can't have a break-in period before going back to race because of the bisulfide compound applied on the skirt.

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
wardd,
I have to agree with KXKen, all of the pistons are pretty good. Just make sure the clearances are correct and do a decent run in(break- in) on the engine.---Pete.

Top Bottom