Bogg before power band kicks in

cnl83

Nov 16, 2005
Ok, I have a 97 KX 125 with a farely new top end. I got a bogging problem, and I cant figure it out. I took apart the carb today, cleaned the jets, cleaned the carb, made sure mixture was good, filter was cleaned, hoses were cleaned, and its all good, but I still got a bog. Its like my low end sucks cause of it. I got top end, but its just to get there. The only thing I didnt check is the reeds. I even changed the packing in my silencer.

Any help would be nice, thanks!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Is this something that just started? Sounds like the power valve is not opening soon enough. It is either sticking or the spring tension is too tight. If this is something that just started I'd say it is gunked up and sticking. Remove the access cover to expose the PV linkage and see if you and open and close it freely with your fingers (not with the engine running). If it doesn't move smoothly then it needs a good cleaning.

cnl83

Nov 16, 2005
Are you talking about the power valve accuator on the kick start side of the engine? I had gunk coming down from there. Not sure why though..

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
cnl83 said:
Are you talking about the power valve accuator on the kick start side of the engine? I had gunk coming down from there. Not sure why though..
That's it. If you have a lot of gunk then it could be gummed up and needs cleaning. If it was running OK and then developed this problem then make sure everything is in spec and clean before messing with the jetting. Check the reeds too but unless it is hard to start I doubt they are the culprit.

cnl83

Nov 16, 2005
Im going clean the power valve today. I tried to drop the jets, and it did not fix the problem. Hopefully its the Power Valve gummed up. The reeds are fine. I pulled them out and they were in good shape. We moved the needle down one notch, and it did not make a difference. I will post the results here.

QKENUF4U

Nov 13, 2005
did you put everything back the way it was (jetting wise) after changing it ??
im with TROYBOY on this one. make sure you adjust your air screw correctly.
bogging usually means its too lean,breaking up at top end usually means its too rich.
good luck

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
CRANK SEALS!!!!!!!

my friends bike had the same problems.. bogged really bad right before the powerband.... his ended up seizing... i think maybe related to the leaking seals

Top Bottom