Bottom End Rebuild - How Frequently?

Dirtvet

Jan 23, 2000
I'd like people's opinions on the frequency of replacing the crank & bearings on a 2 stroke bike. :coocoo: I have a 2001 Honda CR 250 that has roughly 180 hours of riding on it. It has always run like a champ. I clean the air filter just about every ride and change the transmission fluid evry 2-3 rides. While not experiencing trouble, how do I know whether the crank and bearings are still sound? Doing top end jobs I check for vertical movement of the rod and there is none. I want to keep this bike and treat it right to prevent expensive damage. Any comments would be appreciated. :)

Jabez

Jul 20, 2005
Well. The bottom end only needs done ever 2 years IF that. and it seem you are treating you mottor VERY well. It should still be good.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
check the rod for up and down play.

pull the flywheel cover and grab the flywheel and try to move it - feel play? if so the bearings are shot.

if all passes, ride ride and ride

JRude

Feb 29, 2004
My son has 2003 CR 85. The bottom end rod bearing just went out. We check the up and down movement of the rod and it never did have any up and down movement. Small metal pieces that look like a part of a piston ring came up thru cyclinder and trashed the top of the piston, bottom of cylinder head and scratched cyclinder. I wouldn't push my luck.

Top Bottom