cannot get my front wheel rotor between brake pads

MitchFong

Jul 20, 2004
i took my front wheel off today to fix a flat and now thats its fixed i cant get the rotor back between the brake pads. i cannot move them with my hands and now i have no idea how to get the wheel back on.
im sure someone is more familiar with this then i am..
thank you for any help

sunnyboy

Feb 24, 2003
get yourself a flat screwdriver and slip it between the pads and they will pry apart--before riding you need to pump the brake a few times to get it to close back up

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Take a flat bladed screw driver and ease the pads apart to give yourself a little more room. Remember to pump the lever back up after you get the wheel back on and before you ride, to reduce that first turn ass-pucker factor.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I'd suggest popping the pads out and pressing the piston back with a C clamp. Less risk of messing up the pads which could them mess up the rotor.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
^^^^^^^
Anal :)

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
lol...if it's any consolation, I agree with Pat's method and logic.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
I must've been to the Patman School of Anal Bike Repair because I wouldn't put a flat blade screw driver on a set of brake pads either. [I just don't pull the wheel to begin with]...

You could get away with using a screw driver but I'd wrap a rag around it first.

[] - represents Patman's witty comeback to Greenie. :laugh:

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Yes, we wouldn't want any metal to come in contact with a brake pad ;)

Ease them apart however you see fit, but remember to pump them back up before you ride off.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
kelseybrent said:
Yes, we wouldn't want any metal to come in contact with a brake pad ;)

Putting a rag over a screw driver helps keep the SHARP edges from SCRATCHING the pads.

Oh who am I to talk. Just use a chisel and a hammer and be done with it already...

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Green Horn said:
Just use a chisel and a hammer and be done with it already...
There ya go! :cool:

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Green Horn said:
Putting a rag over a screw driver helps keep the SHARP edges from SCRATCHING the pads.

Oh who am I to talk. Just use a chisel and a hammer and be done with it already...
Don't forget to wrap the rag around the hammer so you don't damage the chisel... :nener:

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
I have to do the same thing except a friend squeezed the brakes when the wheel is off and im putting new pads on so it will be even worse. If you unscrewed the bleeder screw while pushing the piston back in wouldn't it make it alot easier? Is this going to make me have to bleed the brakes again(i don't think so but...)?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
cr2504life said:
If you unscrewed the bleeder screw while pushing the piston back in wouldn't it make it alot easier?

If it takes anything more than slight pressure with a screwdriver then there is probably something wrong. I can't imagine scratching a brake pad (or losing sleep over it if I did) by using a screwdriver or similar item.

cr2504life

May 17, 2004
I have the same problem, I had my tire off to replace it and the brake pads. While it was apart a friend squeezed the brake :bang: . If i unscrew the bleeder screw will it make it any easier to pust the piston back in? Is this hard on it or will i have to bleed the brakes again? Thanks

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
MrLuckey said:
I can't imagine scratching a brake pad (or losing sleep over it if I did) by using a screwdriver or similar item.

Thanks alot Eddie. I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight after what you just said. :moon:

Top Bottom