highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
I am asking specifically for XR/CRF-F air cooled motors in a big bore application. Of course they do not have nikasil plated cylinders.

Are ceramic coated pistons a gimic for the extra cost or is there some tangible benefit to having the piston coated in this type of application? Worth $35.00 extra?

Many thanks for your replies

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Thanks, I was hoping to get some info as I wanted to put some big bore kits in my CRF-F 150/230 play bikes. Was wondering if the ceramic coating would be worth the $35.00 extra for assistance with cooling, hp, and longevity.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
My semi experienced reply is that you will not be able to benefit from the coatings. Ceramic piston coatings are often cited in detonation problems. Turbocharged road race cars are a good example of an application where it is not a good idea to ceramic coat a piston or valve. Yes, some have done it successfully, however most who try this end up with higher combustion temperatures and detonation. Sometimes, carbon buildup is a factor in detonation. Ceramic coatings are thought to be similar to carbon buildup in the effects on the engine.

However there is some newer coating technology that is quite promising. Having the experience to know what applications and where to use it is another thing.

I use pistons with coated skirts all the time. I am not sure it helps the life of the piston as it is fully worn off within short order. However the pistons come that way, so who am I to complain.

It was suggested here that DLC coatings are a good way to go to increase part life. I have not tried it, and, it is quite expensive. It seems the company that applies this coating wants to do piston pins. I called the company and it did not take long before I was told about the piston pin coating. Not sure I have a piston pin problem........

Chris

Top Bottom