Chain and Sprocket Selection

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If we went with the TriMetal, we would have to buy it from Vic, as I think he has a monopoly on them now. (525?) Best looking sprocket on the market, bar none.

With the 525 set-up I think we are going to have to custom the sprockets.
Hardened steel front 14t
7075-T6 alloy rear 48t, mud relief cuts, annodize coat black.

Or...?

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
In that case, I would say lets leave it to jay and AJ to come up with what will work best. I trust thier judgement implicitly.

Brian

Stanbagger
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 1, 2001
You can get the stealth sprockets through KTM hard parts, thats where I got my last two. I think they are something like $55. I doubt that would do us much good unless a KTM sprocket would bolt up to a Honda hub...

Last edited:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It looks like we may just be able to have it ready in time, but it will be close.
At present, we are about .010" from having the thing perfectly centered with a stock 525 honda hub.
.010" in 2' isn't bad, but we will be shooting for perfect, as this is the ultimate woods dawg.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
How about anodizing on the rear sprocket? Red? To match the brake master cyl cover and the Service Honda sharkfin?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
It looks like we are going to make it with the #525 custom sprockets and chain.

However, anodizing of the rear is not going to happen. They couldn't promise it back in time.
If anyone knows of an anodizer that is set up and ready to go, this would be the only was we could get it done and shipped on time. I would have to know Monday morning so we could get the thing shipped ASAP. I think we will be looking at a aluminum finish rear though.

We went with the stock set-up of 14/48.
If anyone thinks we should be providng a different ratio for the testing, let me know right now and I can also send a set of #520 stuff at another gearing.

AJ,
My plan is to send the stuff directly to SH to your Atten.
Is that good?
Btw..I'm also sending a small 1oz bottle of lube for the tool pouch...I hear it's good stuff! :aj:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Jaybird-
yeap! send it to:

Service Honda
5634 Hohman ave.
Hammond, Ind 46320

attn: AJ

The 14/48 will be fine.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
:cool:

SND

Mar 26, 2004
oldfrt613 said:
EK MRD6 chain - great find. I can get it unplated. Wears as good as any of the "gold" chains ( used to run DID ERT's ) - is about $20 cheaper. You can get it in gold or several other colors for an extra $10.
Can't go wrong with Renthal sprockets.

Be careful with plating. This can cause hydro-embrittlement.

Just be careful.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
The #525 chain we sent for the bike was an RK XSO X-ring, non-plated.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
likelite said:
i was just thinking that 14/48 may be a bit tall for the wr gear box.just a thought.
Dude, it's a freakin' 500cc two stroke. You could probably start in 4th gear.

likelite

Feb 15, 2006
i ran a 500 in harescrambles with 14/48 and stock ratios internally.this let me stay in each gear longer.kind of like wr box.just do not want top gears to be spread to far apart.we will see what happens when article comes out.it should be alright.just a thought.

Top Bottom