Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Okay, "looks like" I'm getting media cred with floor access for the McGrath Invitational. Got a verbal, but confirmations don't go out until next week.

What are your thoughts on lens choice 24-70 / 70-200 or both? While my shorter lens is good, it can't touch the 70-200 as far as PQ. Think from the floor the long lens will get much use?

ISO. What's been your experience with stadium light? Is the noise at 800 on a 20D worth the speed? Guess I'll find out there, but what about flash? Typically allowed? I'm guessing if I shoot in Av, there will be enough ambient light that ETTL will fire the strobe as fill?

Just looking for some general pointers for shooting under the lights.

Luckily, it's a two night event and we'll have a mac book to look at the stuff from the first night.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Okiewan said:
Okay, "looks like" I'm getting media cred with floor access for the McGrath Invitational. Got a verbal, but confirmations don't go out until next week.

What are your thoughts on lens choice 24-70 / 70-200 or both? While my shorter lens is good, it can't touch the 70-200 as far as PQ. Think from the floor the long lens will get much use?

ISO. What's been your experience with stadium light? Is the noise at 800 on a 20D worth the speed? Guess I'll find out there, but what about flash? Typically allowed? I'm guessing if I shoot in Av, there will be enough ambient light that ETTL will fire the strobe as fill?

Just looking for some general pointers for shooting under the lights.

Luckily, it's a two nght event and we'll have a mac book to look at the stuff from the first night.

Wow.. must be nice. Good luck.

And damn you're up awful late!

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Okiewan said:
On second thought ... I just can't see them allowing a bunch of photogs to use strobes, seems like it would be a light show with blinded riders all over the track.

That could make for an interesting night though!!!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would take both lenses for sure. I shot an AX last season with nothing but the 70-200, the 24-70 will be too short to take that as your only lens. I've never had any complaints about the flash indoors or out.

I shot at 800 and 1600 for an AX last season and had no problems with it on my 20D. My mag ad photo of Lange that sold from that event was at 800 iso.

I'm at work so can't dig up a bunch of shots but here is my report from the race http://racerxcanada.com/news_update.php?id=985?id=957 .

As far as flash every shooter at a pro SX has a flash going, go easy on the use of the word strobe though or you'll start WWIII between Tony Scavo and TFS :laugh: Also I shoot full manual with the flash so that I get the full flash versus only getting fill flash out of shooting av mode. At least that's how my cheap 420EX flash is setup not sure on that Sigma flash of yours, I think Emile has the same flash so he may have some input.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Just remembered I had a bunch of shots hosted on my server from posting them on a canuck forum after the ax last year.

Here are some shots I have hosted already from posting on a canuck forum.

IMG_4334.JPG

IMG_4340.JPG

IMG_4366.JPG

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
The point of the post was to show you that higher iso on the 20D isn't that noisy and not to be afraid to use it :) Sure you can lower the shutter speed and drop the iso. You'll get more range out of the flash as well since it sync's at 1/250. I shot those on high speed sync which shortens the flash range. Unless I'm trying for something with motion blur or a pan I usually won't drop below 1/320 for a slow section of track.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
To be honest, I'd prefer to deal with the noise post processing than use the flash anyway ... I've got to figure out a test in low light, It's my understanding that with the flash, you'll get more (motion) stopping power at lower shutter speeds.

Screw it, I'm just going to take my 3 640 watt strobes and transmitters and then ...

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Okiewan said:
Screw it, I'm just going to take my 3 640 watt strobes and transmitters and then ...

Nice! Let me know if you want to borrow a set of White Lightning 1200's for a little more reach! :)

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Ok here it goes...

You will want both lenses for sure.

The 24-70 and 1D produced this at manual exposure 1/200 f/3.5 ISO 500 @ 45mm with the 420 flash.
901G0042.jpg

This shot with the 70-200 and MarkII, Av, 1/640 f/3.2 ISO1600 @ 70mm with 420 flash.
GI4W2947.jpg

Next was 70-200 and MarkII, Av, 1/640 f3.2 ISO 1600 @ 200mm with no flash.
GI4W5921.jpg

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
This one with 300f4 1D, Manual exposure 1/400 f/4.0 ISO 1000 with 420 flash.
901G7533.jpg

As you can see, all focal lengths have their uses, but my most used lens is the 70-200

Squid31

Jul 5, 2006
Now this is what I have learned so far...

1) Shooting indoors is a lot harder than shooting outside to get the angle you want. They only let you go in certain places, where outdoors you can go anywhere. The plus side to shooting on the floor is you can usually move around during the moto to get a variety of shots, and not 20 laps worth of shots from corner #3 like you would get from shooting in the stands.

2) Flash will be your friend and your nightmare. When shooting wide it's usually OK, but when shooting at 200mm, it can at times light up all the stuff in the air, giving a hazy appearance to your photos. Don't be scared to experiment with both using, and not using flash.

3) When not shooting wide, or close enough for your flash to do much, the only other option you have is to increase your shutter speed. There is only one way to do this, high ISO, and shoot at or near wide open. I have found that if you must shoot high iso, make sure to overexpose by 1 or 2 thirds of a stop. If it shows up a bit over exposed in post, you can bring it down a bit and noise will not increase, and in a lot of cases it will decrease. Now, if you underexpose, and try to bring it up in post, the noise is amplified like crazy.

4) Have fun, enjoy the experience, and talk to as many people as you can between races. My first SX on the floor was St Louis last year. I got a few good shots, and had some ideas to try for the next race, but aside from the photography, I had a great time.

Top Bottom