Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
When compressing the front forks with the front brake applied while stopped, a very distinct click is heard comming from inside the right fork between the bottom and top clamps. This is a new occurence. The other fork is quiet. I just noticed this after a rather spectacular crash five weeks ago. I have not ridden the bike in this condition as the damage to my wrist has not sufficiently healed.

What is this click? Is any repair required? What action might be required?

The bike is two and a half seasons old (01' YZ250) but not ridden much (acl reconstruction last season) and always well kept. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't know squat about suspension and don't frequent the suspension forum as much as I should.

Thanks.

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Loosen the bottom triple clamps where they grab the tubes. Pump the front end up and down with the brake applied. Tighten the clamps and see if the click is still there. The tubes might have gotten tweaked (in relation to the clamps) in the crash and have some tension in them.

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Thanks for your help. I serviced the bearings and torqued the top clamp nut over the winter and it's all still tight and smooth. I agree that loose bearings would make some kind of sound. The sound I hear is definitely from inside the right fork as mentioned. I will try the recommendation to loosen the bottom clamp bolts and pump the forks. Didn't know that a tweek could cause an internal click. If it doesn't work do you think there's some damage inside? The click occurs at about 1/2 full compression.

Thanks.

russ17

Aug 27, 2002
I had a guy at the track the other day ask me that he had a sound every time he would leave a jump ect . He dropped them off I check everything internal and was fine but after he put the forks back on the bike he said it was still making that noise.To make the story short it was a bent fork guard. maybe that might help!
Russ

Solid State

Mar 9, 2001
Update on the click - I took the advise to unloosen the lower clamp bolts. They creaked a little as they often due when loosening. When the last bolt was free I heard the sound of the fork tube flexing/untwisting. I retightened lightly (not torqued fully yet) and pumped the forks off the stand - presto! The click is gone. Thanks for all your help. Learned something new agin.

Top Bottom