endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Just recently my clutch has been fading after full power/full traction situations. I can pull the lever to the bars and it still won't disengage, after it cools off it returns to normal, similar to a cable clutch. Is it time for a new clutch?

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
I have checked and replaced the fluid. I believe I now have atf in there but I ran mineral oil before. This doesn't seem to be in the actuator assembly at all since it's heat/torque related. The fluid in the slave cylinder doesn't get that hot, or does it?
The first time this happened was down in Reno on the first loop while we were pounding whoops at mach 2, especially on the uphill sections with full power and traction. I thought it was the EE easy pull lever but it happened again back here in Oregon after going back to stock.
I know that the hydraulics should take up the swelling of steel plates but it seems like it's not. Once I cool it off it returns to normal.
I'll take a look at the plates, change back to mineral oil and check the slave cylinder. A friend of mine in SoCal is having the same problem.
Thanks fellas

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
Originally posted by endoquest
I have checked and replaced the fluid. I believe I now have atf in there but I ran mineral oil before. This doesn't seem to be in the actuator assembly at all since it's heat/torque related. The fluid in the slave cylinder doesn't get that hot, or does it?

the fluid in the slave cylinder (cylinder that bolts to the engine) gets VERY hot from the engine heat. I have seen where guys would install a gasket between the slave cylinder and engine that acts like a heat sheild for the slave cylinder. It also helps to rotate, (flip the elbow fitting 180 degrees toward the back of the engine) , the fluid line away from the engine where it is attached to the external oil line running up the back of the cylinder (engine)

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Hey guys, I think I found my problem. The inner clutch basket is worn. Outer is fine since it's steel. Is there an updated inner? This might not be my problem but everything else checks out fine. Plates are a bit blue but not warped. Penny for your thoughts.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Thanks alot marcus, the problem/solution is all there. For those of you wondering, it seems the slave cylinder is getting pushed back by engine oil pressure under high speed/gear conditions. A solution is to cut a groove into the clutch rod to relieve this pressure. Why my bike is doing this now, after 14 months of hard use, is odd
I'll tackle it tonight and get back to this forum with my views.
I still wouldn't mind getting a better inner basket.

Top Bottom