pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
Alright, here's the deal. I have a '90 YZ80. The clutch lever broke off, so i ordered one from my local shop, well they ordered the brake lever instead, so then i just got a universal clutch lever, it was cheaper so i figured, why not? So i go up to the farm and put the lever on, a little long, but it fit, then come to find out, the clutch wont engage. I am hoping that this problem will go away when i re-ordered the clutch handle, but is the handle the real problem? I tried tightening and loosening the cable, but nothing worked. I dont think that the clutch plated are worn out or anything because this bike has never been raced, or even rode, hardly at all. Help me out please!!!
THX

~Jamie

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
There must be slack in the cable about the thickness of a dime is a good guestimate. Check the lever the cable hooks to. Is it moving? Unhook the cable and start it with the cable unhooked, can you put it in gear?

It might be a shift shaft problem or something. Can you feel the shifter changing gears? It isn't uncommon for the shifter shaft to brake internally when your crash especially on the clutch side.

If that is the prob. Changing the shaft requires removing the clutch and inner side cover. Not that familiar with the 80. But 250's it is not that big a deal just make sure you don't leave out the one thrust washers between inner hub and and the one between outer basket and crank bearing.

Hope maybe that is not the case. But if it is there will be plenty of advice here to help you thru.

Good Luck,
Jim

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I didnt check to see if the clutch would engage with out the lever on first, i will try that. I cant start the biek beacuse the clutch isnt working properly. It can shift fine, no problems there. When it is in gear (like 1st) i push it and it resists, then i pull the clutch in, and instead of moving freely, it acts the same, as if the cutch wasnt pulled in at all. I'm not sure if there is slack, because i tightened the cable as tight as it could possibly go, and still no changes. The cable moves, but the clutch is not engaging. I dont think that there are any internal issues, because it will go into gear fine. I will check and see today, when i get the chance. Maybe i need a new cable or lever? Any more replies would be helpful!

Thanks a lot for all your help Jim, its appreciated!

~Jamie

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
I see what you mean is the clutch is not DISengaging. One prob that occurs on 250's is the rod and ball that releases the clutch, gets hot and wears into each other from lack of lubrication.

I would say go to PowersportsPro.com register you bike and look at their partsfish section for your bike and look at the clutch ass'y. This will familiar you with the associated parts so you don't go in there completly unaware.
I will go over the sequence for a 250 for you. I haven't looked up an 80 but I imagine they are similar.

A sure way to check that is to go down to the lever on the case, put a cresent or wrench that will fit snug on the lever, then turn the lever in the direction that the cable would go when pulling the clutch in. This will give you a lot more travel then just the cable. It may take two people to turn the lever and move the bike when in gear, or put it on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground and turn the lever with it in gear and see if the clutch releases then. If it doesn't, you may have a broken clutch plate or the shaft and ball may be so worn that there is not enough offset in the lever arm to cause the pressure plate to release.

If this is the case you will have to remove the pressure plate in either case. It is much easier than the broken shift shaft deal.

1. Just drain oil out. and remove the bolts holding the clutch cover on.
2. Remove the bolts holding the springs down on the pressure plate. They make a special tool to hold the clutch but you can get by using a screwdriver inserted in the basket slots. Your bolts shouldn't be that tight. (however you need to retouque the bolt when you put it back unless your got lots of expierence with tightening bolts in aluminum.
3. Remove the pressure plate. (leaning the bike away so the plates don't fall out.)under it in the center you will see a flat ended small circular disc that has a protrusion going inside the inner hub.
4. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL, HOLD YOU HAND OR STUFF RAGS UNDER IT SO THE BALL THAT IS INSIDE IT DOESN'T FALL INTO THE CASE. Pull the disc out being careful about the ball. You should then see the shaft that the ball rides against inside the hole the disc thing come out of.
5. Get a pair of needlenose pliers and remove the shaft. Nothing will fall out the shaft goes all the way to the other side of the engine so it is prob 4-5 in. long. Look at the shaft and ball are they blue and discolored? The end of the shaft has a pointed end that is flat on the tip, there is a taper before the flat end. If you don't see the taper or see any jagged metal on the end then its bad. If it is good you usually see a small indentation from the ball on the ball end. When they are new they are flat.
6. Buy a new ball and shaft from your dealer. Lube the ball and shaft with a good moly based grease when reassemling.

I'll check back tomarrow to see if you've had any luck.
Jim

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I got myself a manual for my bike, and i have been reading it religously. I will check the clutch assembly tonight and get back to you. i dont think that i can thank you enough for the replies!!!!

~Jamie

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
Your welcome.

I am grateful for this site. Many questions have been answered and crituqued for me by this website. That's why I subscribe, besides I looove riding. (Even though I'm almost 50.)

Talk at ya later,
Jim

Top Bottom