sj13

Jan 31, 2009
when the bike isnt running in any gear with the clutch in it wont roll freely (disengage)... If its running with the clutch in it will.

It shifts perfectly.... I replaced the clutch plates but used the old springs. I didnt check the springs just reused them. Could that be part of it?

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Are there notches in the clutch basket? if so it will prevent the plates from fully separating. Under power it will slip because the notches will allow them to disengage slightly and there is enough power to move them. The bike will shift fine with or without using the clutch so that doesn't really mean anything.

If they notches aren’t too deep (less than 1 mm) you can file them smooth but they will reappear sooner since there will be more room for the tangs of the friction plates to move around and slam into the basket fingers harder, causing more notches. The only real fix is a new basket. Check the hub too since it can notch too but not a quickly as the basket.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
RM_guy is spot on......welcome to Suzukis, lol! The only "real" fix is a Hinson basket and new plates.......and possibly inner hub too.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Been riding RM's for 10+ years now... they don't have the greatest clutches. We've found them to always drag somewhat, especially when bike is not running... even with good plates, springs, an aftermarket basket, and a good hub. Been running a thin automotive ATF (type f) for a while now, it helps a bunch. We keep just the minimum amount of freeplay in the lever too.

If you want to spend the big bucks, I've heard that Hinson's basket, hub, and pressure plate is a good fix... we've got their basket, it's a quality product, we just live with some drag.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
sj13 said:
when the bike isnt running in any gear with the clutch in it wont roll freely (disengage)... If its running with the clutch in it will.
THAT IS NO SIGN OF AN ISSUE. Sorry about the cap lock, but? Even my Honda CR250 has a little issue, the modern 4 strokes are way worse. As long as it works normal when operating? Vintage Bob

julien_d

Oct 28, 2008
Brand new bike on the showroom floor will not roll freely in gear with clutch pulled and engine off. That's just how a wet clutch works!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom