MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
I'm not really a regular on here, but I check in from time to time. I was going to go riding in Corona (across from Tom's Farms) tomorrow, but my buddy bailed out. With all this rain today, its bound to be great tomorrow. Anyone on here interested in going? I'm a novice/intermediate rider - in case that matters. :)

MJ

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Sorry, I'm out for tomorrow and I think Ol89er is gone as well. We were thinkin on riding sometime this next week if possible so keep your eyes peeled for a post. It'll probably be a midweek ride and I'd like to hit Beaumont. You just missed our Miller Canyon ride last week but I know we are planning a Phelan ride soon too.;)

MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
elk,

I read your Miller Canyon report - sounds like it was a good ride. I'll be watching the forum and try to join you guys on your next ride. I can usually get away for a mid-week ride, but I've been really busy at work lately, so it'll be tough for the next few weeks.

MJ

MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
f4iguy,

(Directions deleted. Please use e-mail or PM's for this. Thank you. Ol'89r)
People usually park in the small dirt lot next to the industrial buildings and follow the trail through the trees or if your vehicle can make it, there is a steep (but only about 10 feet) road that goes between the trees that you can drive through.

There is some sand wash and fireroad section that would be good for a 10 yo. Then there are some tougher rutted/rocky hills beyond that. It's a pretty good variety of terrain.

I will probaby be out there from 1 to 4 if I can find somebody to go with.

MJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MJ and f4iguy.

My grandson, who is also 10 and I will be doing a ride on Sunday afternoon. I know the area that you are talking about. Be careful over there, the local Sheriff has been patroling that area for a couple weeks now.

What kind of bikes are you riding and what are you driving? We will look for you guys.

I will be organizing another Corona ride as soon as the Sherriff backs off a little. Watch this forum for the date.

BTW. Unit, be sure to bring your 'get outa the cop shop free card'. :laugh:

Last edited:

MJ27

~SPONSOR~
Feb 28, 2002
Has the Sheriff been issuing tickets or just warnings? My bike isn't registered so maybe I should avoid the area for a while.

If I do make it out today, I drive a silver F150 and I ride a 250F.

MJ

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
So far, just warnings. As far as the registration goes, thats a tough call. :eek:

Check your e-mail.

Max and I will look for you.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
MJ.

Done. :thumb:

I ask that you guys please don't post exact directions to this area. Just name the general area and then use e-mail or PM your buddies the exact directions. When we post directions, it brings out every barney for miles around. This in turn brings out the Sheriff. :whiner:

Thank you.

Ol'89r

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Riding in Riverside County is going to become more like that of San Diego and Orange, where it just can't happen. Or happen within proximity of urban sprawl. Like San Diego and Orange Counties, Riverside too is buying in to the MSHCP desings. This is the Multi Species Habitat Conservation Plan that the county is working towards with the Fed's and the CA-State Department of Fish and Game. In other words, land that is designated in the new plan as openspace or "reserve design" will be offlimits to us (the true Endangered Species) and will most likely be patrolled with a vengeance. This is because all lands designated as openspace or reserve will have to meet Federal/State monitoring and guidance under the Federal Endangered Species Act. This kind of openspace that is technically off limits to us or any humans is a good thing for the County and the developers that build there. Not that I have anything against developers. We all need places to live and work and it fuels or tax base. But the deal is that if the County can conform with what the State/Fed's want, then the County can allow development anywhere within the non-reserve or openspace lands. However, if they can't assure that the so called openspace/reserves are well maintained for critters and not us (riders) they loose and they would have to give up lands that they have set for urban growth. Remember urban growth brings tax dollars and MX and Off-road use do not. So this plan is what the County is banking on and all riding areas are in jeopardy. I use to ride a pretty good homemade track out by the Perris Airport, but not anymore. That area falls within the County MSHCP criteria grid and they're running riders off. That could also be to the fact that every non-helmet / wife beater "T" wearing, trash dumping jack@$$ party rider has finally pushed the BLM and local land owners there to the limit. So all-in-all, we don't have many areas left and with the County drive to get this plan going I can only see our areas slipping away even faster. The key is to keep informed and look at the County Maps for the MSHCP so you know where they are planning to enforce. The County is a public agancy and their information is subject to FOIA ( freedm of information act) and they can't hide the stuff. Remember anything the County has or creates is yours, the Tax paying public of Riverside County - you paid for it. I know that the newspapers have followed the County plan and maps have been published for review processes/meetings.
I myself, live just south of the County line, but I ride Riverside and take pride it that and it ticks me off when I see people trashing and jeopardizing what little riding space we have left. I now find myself riding on lands slated for development sale and I don't know if that too makes me part of the problem, but at least those lands are set to be nuked and the last thing the land owner wants is some vegetation or critters taking up residence on it.

I don't know what to say, but know the future of your riding areas (your county) and keep your eyes out. Don't mean to bring anyone down, but we all know the deal, more urbanization equals less seat time.

Keep the rubber side down - where we still have dirt.

ed

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom