Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok, so i shortened this a lot to the one main problem that i have that am trying to figure out.

But the problem is for my 1983 Kawasaki KX250, the plug looks fine, i run Kawasaki racing 2-cycle oil. But i only use 86 octane because i have no money and it was just to ride it for today.

I have no idea what it is, or where its coming from. But at mid rpm's there is a rattle(like a fast rattle grinding noise..), idling it sounds perfect. I don't know where the sound is coming from but its like the general front area of the motor (i think...). At first it sounded like the exhaust was hitting something. But its not...

I'm not sure what it is or where its coming from, it wasn't making the noise when i put it away. so it has me stumped, ill most likely tear into it when my dad gets home(in a week), but till then i would like to see if anyone has any ideas.

Anyway i uploaded a video. You can clearly hear the noise when i rev it up. Its really loud, and bothers me.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://s161.photobucket.com/flash/player.swf?file=http://vid161.photobucket.com/albums/t203/DaShrub/Videos/DSC_0003.flv"></embed>

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

matt_12345

Mar 14, 2008
for the oil drain bolt i would just geta bigger one and tap it.. the clutch cover replace the bolt and either put a new gasket in it or rubber seal what evers in it or if u ahve to put high heat silicone in it... my bike used to have what sounded like a rattle and it was broked fibre plates int he clutch but i dunno if thats what urs is.... dunno if this wil help

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Thanks matt that was a $5 plug from the dealer (i coulden't find a bolt that fit) so i would like to use it.. so thats why i was asking about the helicoils.

And i never thought to look at the clutch, ill take it apart later and see if there is anything in there. but it engages flawlessly and doesn't slip or anything.. but ill look.

And i updated my main post and put a video in there.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
Ok, so i think i found what it was. And you are right Chili. When i rev it up when it starts to make the noise the exhaust rattles A LOT! so i took it off, and the one rubber mount on the top of the exhaust pipe is broken.. the rubber piece broke off the metal piece (which is a horrible design in my opinion..) so it rattles on the exhaust port of the engine. I am going to fix it by drilling a hole threw the rubber piece so its all connected.. (hard to explain how it works)

But if it doesn't fix the problem ill let you know.

Thanks

mxmatthew

Apr 7, 2003
I had the exact same noise on my old WR. And it was exactly what you said - the rubber mount. My pipe took a descent hit on a log and I guess broke the mount. My pipe was vibrating against the frame.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Moparman1539 said:
But i only use 86 octane because i have no money and it was just to ride it for today.

The difference in cost for premium gas would be a couple of dollars at most. If your bike needs the higher octane and you ride with 86 the damage can cost you hundreds of dollars.

If you can't afford the premium gas then it is a safe bet that you can't afford a top end rebuild. I suggest not riding until you save up a few extra bucks.

Rod

Top Bottom