motox4fun

Aug 15, 2001
OK, I live in South Louisiana and plan to ride the entire SERA Enduro series for overall "C" points as well as Int "C" class points. I have been riding off and on for 20 or so years and just recently got back into the game aboard my newly purchased 2001 CR250.
These are the mods I plan to make after riding the Breezy Hill Enduro this year on a completely stock bike except for rally pro hand guards and an O-Ring Chain. I am 5'9" tall and weigh approx. 160lbs with gear on. I consider myself to be a mid pack "B" rider but I am going to start out in "C" for the first year back and go from there. So anyway, on to the MODS:
-Race-Tech front and rear revalving of suspension as well as new spring rates for my weight.
-12 Oz welded flywheel weight done by A-Loop
-Scotts Steering Dampner
-FMF Gnarly Pipe
That is what is in the works for now. Can anyone offer me some suggestions on thesse planned mods as to whether or not I am headed in the right direction or should I add some additional things to the list. Also I have heard that the Newest ICO comp is the best one out so should I buy it or consider some other brand. Keeping in mind that I have until the start of next racing season to complete all these mods, money should not be a problem. Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
CR for enduro??

I just picked up an 02'CR250. I race the old fart class (sen.A) enduro/h.s.
All of your mod idea's sound pretty good except I would reconsider how much flywheel weight you need. I may not put ANY on my 02'...the thing just chugs and won't stall. I raced the Cajun Classic last spring and had a BALL BTW. I've been using a Watchdog computer the past 2 season's and am very happy with it. For suspension, here in MN we're VERY lucky to have Jeff Howe (Trak Control). He is EXCELLENT and i'd highly recommend his work for ANYONE on ANY bike. Just my .02

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
In the woods??

YES I have....and it's awesome!!! I won't be needing a flywheel weight on this one...this new motor hooks up SO well and does not stall. Jetting seems FINE stock here in cool MN. (1000', 50's-60's). The bike feels SO light/flickable it's unreal.

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
Dave, I thought you were getting a 450F? I rode an 01 CR250 in the woods a bit with and without an E-Line lighting coil. I took the coil kit off and just left the lights on for looks. I liked the bike better without the coil kit.

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I just took the 12 oz off of my 250 SX. I thought I was going crazy, but I like it better without the heavy flywheel weight.
What do you guys do for lights on your CR's? Some of the enduros do require them and no, I don't want the e-line set up($$$).

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
LIGHTS??

I haven't been to an enduro in a LONG time that required BURNING lights, so I just mount a non-working headlight which I set up for clearance of the WER damper I use.

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
grunk250r, what about a spark arrestor on that '02 250R? And will that affect the jetting?

scottyr, why did you like the bike better without the lighting coil - did it affect performance?

I'm also thinking about converting a '02 CR250R for enduros.

Last edited:

scottyr

Mar 12, 2000
I did not like the coil as IMO it made the bike feel lazy compared to stock. Truthfully, I dont think that the CR 250 is the greatest bike the convert to an enduro mount. The stories that you hear about the stiff frame are true. Several of my buddies have switched from CRs to either KTM250s/300s or converted YZ250 2 strokes to enduro bikes and feel that both either bike was more capable than the CR for long hare scrambles or enduros. They both felt less tired at the end of a long race than on the CR.

GWO

Jul 15, 2000
scottyr, thanks for the reply. Have you ridden the '02 and do you think the new frame has cured the harshness?

grunk250r, what do you think of the new frame? Do you notice harshness?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom