crBoy80

Jun 15, 2006
hi i have a 1986 cr 80. Granted its pretty old but it ran fine b4 and would always start on the 1st or 2nd kick. until 1 day i was riding and it just died on me. Now it wont start at all. it does have low compression but when i spray fuel down the cylinder it shoots fire out of the exhaust port. Can someone please help me!!!! Thanks.

chuckv

Dec 30, 2006
How low compression? What color flame? What happened when it died? Any odd noises, just shut off quickly, or sputter then die, as if running out of fuel? Where are you spraying the fuel?

crBoy80

Jun 15, 2006
it just sputtered and died. the color flame is orange. I sprayed starting fluid straight down throught the spark plug hole. i can push the kick starter down with my hand very easily and it was not like that before it died. b4 it died i changed the spark plug from a B8es to a BR9es if that has anything to do w/ it. I also have a similiar problem with my atv. it is a honda recon and i recently changed the exhaust to a big gun evo sport utility series. when ever i rev it it will backfire and a flame will shoot out of the muffler. Someone please help before i set my garage on fire w/ these machines!!!

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
Well if you were shooting for a better plug you went the wrong way. The lower the number the hotter the plug, you should have went with a B7es. That 9 is fouled bigger than crap.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
crBoy80 said:
hi i have a 1986 cr 80. Granted its pretty old
1 day i was riding and it just died on me. Now it wont start at all. it does have low compressionQUOTE]

Sounds like it's time for a top end rebuild. :cool:

crBoy80

Jun 15, 2006
will using a b7es plug make any difference at all? Is that common for a bike just to die when it needs a rebuild? How much would a top end rebuild cost and is it really worth it on a bike of this age?? Thanks for all the help!

ignatius2071

Dec 12, 2006
If you don't want to spend a lot of money on an old bike. I would take the top end off the bike, take the old rings out of the piston, order some new ring off **** probably around twenty bucks or so. Clean the piston up really good as long as its not chipped, and reinstall everything back into the bike, and off you go.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
If you have low compression then thats your problem. If you continue to run the motor like this the piston will explode. Do the top end rebuild. If the cylinder is ok you could getto the job and buy a new ring and hone the cylinder yourself with 2000 grit sand paper. Probably cost you $30-40.

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Running too cold of a plug won't hurt the engine at all but it will foul a lot easier and not give optimum performance. Running too hot of a plug can lead to detonation (pinging) which CAN destroy the engine.

The symptoms sure sound like the top end has gone south. It happens. When it happens, it happens real sudden like and yes, the bike can just sputter and stop.

Spraying starting fluid or raw gas into the cylinder may get some popping out of it because if you are getting spark you can ignite the fuel and it will burn. Without adequate compression it won't generate significant power and all you will have is bit of flame that can come out the exhaust.

As others have said, do the top end work. At least pull the cylinder and take a look.

nsxxtreme

Apr 18, 2006
Another reason a motor can just die is bad crankcase seals.

The symtoms of this is plenty of compression, spark, and a wet (w/fuel) sparkplug.

Since you say the motor has low compression I would replace the top end first. A piston that explode will cause much more damage.

Top Bottom