viper131

Jun 13, 2003
i am new to dirtbike riding. i have had about 2 months experiance so far with bikes. i am 16 yrs old 6 ft and 145 lbs. i also ride most in the woods, and i am planning to ride a few moto's soon. in these past 2 months i have started out on my girlfriends ttr-125 and i have gotten pretty good pretty fast. now because of this, my girlfriends dad and uncle decided to let me ride a "Real" bike and let me ride a '98 KX250... which blew my mind. i was scared so much to ride it, but when i did, i fell in love instantally. it has so much power and a nice powerband. i love the 2-stroke feel. also that day her dad let me ride his brand new yzf450. people say this is a much faster bike, and it has so much more power, but i have to disagree. the kz250 seemed so much faster and felt like more power. back to the topic, i have decided to buy a used bike... i have always wanted a cr, but they have had trouble in the engines and are weak in the motor...as i hear. what bike would you recommend? i can handle the 250's quite well.... altho i havnt really put too much time into them. should i go for a 125 or 250? i have a somewhat limited price range, but i dont mind, can you all please help by telling me whats the best, quickest, most powerful bike i can get? also one last thing... the years of the bikes are important also... i dont want anything older than a '97... what model years are the best for these bikes? ok well thanks for the help.... im finally done now... lol... =)

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
welcome to the dirtbike world ! i love it when people start riding because it less people against this beutifull sport i hate it when im dragging like 10 guys and im in top speed and when we all finish theres always someone that sees us then comes out and says were going to kill ourselves and im like do we look like were 80 years old ! If we didnt love the feeling of fear then we would have this machine. well anyways if i was you i wouldnt go with a 2-stroke for a first bike but i cant blame you for it because i love the 2 strokes to. exept the fourstroke racers are kings of motocross my one friend just bought a 250f and hes already ridden it in some motos and he grabs the hole shots like hes racing xr80's. its wierd how my preference is for a 250 class i would choose an 04 cr250 because those bikes are just so light and so nimble there just great. but for the 125 class i would easly say a new yz250f or the crf250 when it comes out. but i think you should check out these bikes CRF230, any WR, or if you want two strokes check out the cr or yz 's. i rode a 97 kx125 last weekend and the engine felt really sleepy. hope this helped, later

viper131

Jun 13, 2003
if i do get a 4-stroke i believe i am aiming at a yzf250... but im not sure... i think i am decided to get a 2 stroke. i need advise on 2-strokes... what about the yz 125's? what year is the best for the yz's? cr's? kx's? my friend has a cr 125 that really kicks.. its ported and polished, and it was sent to california to some pro tuner and had the engine rebuilt. hes really lucky, because the last owner didnt kno this and thought there was something wrong with the bike because the piston kept blowing (pump gas) and when he took the engine apart he saw this... great deal got it for 2500.... neways... i am sorta neck and neck with the cr's yz's and kx's. i really dont know what one to get... any advise on what years to stay away from? i am making my purchase in the next 1-2 weeks. need help asap... anything will do just give a new rider a little info... thanks a bunch

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
okay first off between the kx yz and cr just eliminate tthe kx i mean its a great bike and all but u just have to do so much with the engine i mean i loved my kx 125 it was a 98 i sold it last year i used it for trails everyonce in a while and it just sucked. well ill just shut up about the kx because its not worth it unless your going to buy it brand new and then it still wouldnjt be worth buying over the yz or cr. ive ridden a 99 cr 125 and i fell in love with it as a kid honda makes so reliable bikes its unbelievablle. my first bike was and xr70 and i started riding at the age of 7 and belive this that little honda still runs perfectly it NEVER needed any part replaced i never even cleaned the carb before its just starting to need a new back tire. lol thats just how reliable a honda is. And the yz's are just about the same. Either way you go cr or yz just put a pipe on it and your good to go. i always use FMF but if you buy it used chances are its been raced hard as hell and has a pipe on it. If i had to pick a used bike id take the cr just because of there reliability and high reving and quick rpm. so i think crs are your best bet. although always remember its the better rider not the better bike. hope this helped,
later

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
hey viper 131 i just got into the same pickle as you are in just about 20 minutes. my dealer called and said hes selling brand new cr125s at great deals and so im looking at yz's and cr's now to see which one is better. basiclly same as you exept im not buying used. used are nice because they usually already have all the mods in them. The Suzki's make probably the best stock bikes out there for 03 but im not a suzuki kinda guy i mean if i rode up to the track on a suzuki alot of people would be like Chris is that you ???????? because im a honda or yamaha man exept for the kx and that kx won me some races and got me some holeshots but it was just so much work. well i think im going with the cr im goina go check out some reviews in my dirtrider maghs and c what they have to say. well godd luck with your buy later.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
98 KX250.

Seriously. Why not? It's probably the best bang for the buck in the year range you want, you already know and love the powerband, and as you said--they probably ARE faster than a YZF450! These dirtbike mags just keep thinking bikes are getting faster and faster every year...but there's a used bike bias there. They're comparing these things to severely ridden 1 y/o bikes, and all new bikes feel fast. Hell, I wouldn't trust any of the magazines, not one, to even come close how fast or powerful a bike feels or is.

The 98 KX250 was bike of the year, and had, arguably, one of the best 250 motors ever. The newer YZ's supposedly have similar powerband...but they'd run more $$.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
well ill just shut up about the kx because its not worth it unless your going to buy it brand new and then it still wouldnjt be worth buying over the yz or cr.

Yeah, please do.... ;) . The YZ and KX are closer in motor characteristics and both are very far away from a CR in almost every way possible. The only thing a YZ and CR have in common, is that red and blue are the favorite colors of typical Accutane-using MXA devotees. :|

You want to know something about 125's, I think 125steve/steve125(?) or marcusgunby can best tell you about them. They both seem to be staunch 125 riders and have done a hell of a lot of testing.

I agree that you don't want to forget RM--either the 125 or 250. The newer RM250's rip like hell (and they sound better than any other bike out there. ;) )

LuserKid

Sponsoring Member
Dec 27, 2002
Well earlier in the year I was also looking for a dirtbike and I had pretty much decided I was going to get a YZ 125 probably brand new becuase it had the tallest seat height of the jap brands. Until one of my buddies told me he was going to get a crf450 and he would sell me his 01 RM 125. So I ended up getting the RM and I'm am very happy with it. So like the others have said if you don't have a problem with yellow the RM's are very good bikes.

viper131

Jun 13, 2003
well this kx was just offered to me today for a killer price... he offered under 2000 dollars... it needs a little work, i think i need to get a new top end in it... but that not that expensive... im almost set on the 98 kx.. if things go right. he wants to sell it because he is getting a new bike and doesnt need the kx anymore, which i think is great! if i can get a bike for that price, i can also do some performance-wise mods on it. it already has an fmf pipe, im thinking bout the silencer to go with it. also, i want this bike to run like new... what should i replace to make this feel like it is a new... or barley ridden '98? top end? jets? if this deal doesnt work out i think that the yz will do... i spotted a very nice one for 2000 also... and its a '99... well anyways thanks for the help so far... this is a great place to learn... all because you have all been riding for a long time.. well thanks again.... any suggestions on how to make this bike run like new?

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
If you're still talking about the 98 250, BSWIFT has the 'mamba' that was once owned by Okie...and as I understand, absolutely rips. Gorr went through the motor, and it apparently makes a ton of power. Do a search--there's pics everywhere on this site. Not sure if it was 98 or 99? Close genus/species. Everyone that's ridden it has like it, from what I've read on here over the last several years.

Summarily, what I'm saying is if you're planning on a top end, just send it to Eric. Do it soon, as I'd bet this isn't his busiest time of the year. As MXA would say: "You want power? SIMPLE! Take your cylinder to EG and ask for MAMBA porting." :laugh: :laugh:

lol, when you get it back, you'll have something that will embarass all your friends on their big money new bikes. It'll be kind of humorous. Throw some C12 in there, as well.

Last edited:

nameischris

Jul 5, 2003
my dealer has only 2 yz125's left and is selling them for only 3700 bucks brand spankin new. i hope on gettting them i wounty be able to make it there tonight and tomorrow there closed and on thursday im going to washington d.c. until tuesday so i hope there still there. and if there not ill pry take a ktm or a cr. KTM's are rare up hear but i hear there really kick ass. well thx o yea and viper i think you should go with the 250 if you rode one before then you would love it. i would get a 250 but unlike alot of other racers that ive met i know what my skill is and im not expierienced enough to race 250s even though ive been riding just about all my life. dirt rider mag is a complete lie it makes me so pissed off it had a 125 bike test and there so full of crap they said the cr was the worst stock bike for 03 and ive ridden a 03 and its just rocks but i hear yamahas 125's are better. can anybody tell me some info on ktm's. thx

viper131

Jun 13, 2003
hehe.... got the price today, and im taking the bike... it will be mine before the end of the week. he is selling it to me for only 1650 because he bought it, and found a nice new KX 250 for about 3000 and he wants it. i kno the guy so i guess he sold it to me for cheap. dont get me wrong, its not mint... needs small work here and there... clutch, clutch perch, chain, sproket... thats about it. for 1650 and for those minor repairs (they say i can get thru the season without doing a thing to it but i want to fi it up), this is a GREAT deal... im so happy. so what do you all think? should i go for it? i see this as a nice deal, who can go wrong with a bike for 1650 thats not in bad shape?
Nephron, if i did decide to send the engine to this guy, what can i expect? what will he do with the engine? about how much will this cost? how long does it take? if you can give me some info on this that would be pretty kool =)
if you dont feel like posting it, you can mail me at viper_boy_1187@yahoo.com thanks!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Find BSWIFT.

micah 23

Jun 28, 2003
Anyone know what dealers pay for the bikes?

Does anyone know where I could find the information to show what the dealerships pay for the bikes? With cars its pretty easy, but i have no idea how much off the msrp the dealerships get. I figure it is more then they would want you to believe, but cant find it anywhere.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom