dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
im thinking about turning my cr80 into a cr80 expert, its a 1996 model, what will i need to buy, i think the only difference is the swingarm length, wheel size and of coarse the chain length and rear sprocket size (front??). is there anything else i will need to buy to make the transition?
what about the rear shoeck, is it the same length.
thanks

jmossbarger

Apr 12, 2000
You will also need the rear brake line, the expert is longer. The wheels are the expensive part, **** will get about $250 for a front and rear set, swingarm will be $100+ if you can find one.

you could lace up your own wheels on your existing hubs, Pro-Wheels are pretty cheap alternative to Excel's. You will still be in them for about $150-$200, but you will have a nice set of wheels!

Don't forget, you can also sell off the standard parts to help offset the costs of the upgrade. While you are at it, pick up some 2003 or new plastic and really update the bike! It all bolts right on.

Good luck!
Joe

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
well i found a guy that is parting his 99 exper so i think i can get the parts at a good deal, thanks for the help, i didnt really think about the rear brake line.
plus after i do the switch i think i can make a good part of the money back selling all of my parts.
do you think it would be a good idea to go ahead and get a new set of swingarm bearings while i amke the switch?

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
becouse the guys not in driving distance, plus i like to have something to work on. and it will cost too much.

freightrain

Nov 17, 2004
Swingarm bearings can be tough to remove. If they're the needle type, you may need to take the swingarm to a shop to have the races removed. You may just want to repack them and inspect them. Replace any missing needles.

Top Bottom