Mar 31, 2000
My 2001 has about 20hrs on it still without a scratch. It appears the exhaust mount right under the gas tank broke at the weld and allowed the pipe to vibrate hard enough to crack 2 inches from the motor. A large crack, almost the whole diameter of the exhaust....
Good thing I noticed it before I took a spin. It was clean and shiny and perfect time to bring it right to the shop where I bought it. They were cool and agreed that I didn't crash the bike after a quick inspection by the head mechanic. Kawi is replacing the pipe as well as reweld and beef up the broken mount.
I was aware of the rattling a 500 produces and was religious about checking bolts between rides. could this be a new problem or is it old news ?

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
My 500 has also cracked the pipe a few times. It is due to the vibration of the open class bikes. Just keep an eye on it. I am suprised that it happened this soon.

KX500CRAZY

Aug 3, 2001
All the late model KX500's will bust that frame mount under the tank, nothing you or the shop can do about it. If you beef up the weld it may hold for a while but will eventually break again. What I did was get a longer bolt and used a heavy duty rubber washer about 1/2 inch thick on each side of the mount. Use a metal washer the same size of the washer before placing the nut on and bolt thru. You have to push and pull a little, but it works and does not break the bracket anymore. FYI, if this is the first big bore you have ever had beware, power come with a price. Lost bolts and stuff breakin', but it's fun!

teamgrn84

~SPONSOR~
Sep 3, 2001
the famous upper pipe mount!!!!

have it rewelded and it won't happen again, it has happened to all my 500's they are awesome bikes, check it often and replace your pipe mounts they will go through them often!!!!!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom