Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
CRF450X...

Sorry to be snide, but this is an issue I am dealing with: I want to get a new bike, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money to make it faster, handle better, etc. I want it ready to go out of the box (I am willing to have the suspension set up correctly and buy armor).

It jsut frustrates me that we sepdn thousands on bikes off the show room floor, then dump thousands more to make them better. We need more demo days!

joh9356

Mar 22, 2005
Magellan, you hit it.

I have heard time and time again, "4-stroke, go with a 450". Every time.

CRF250X #1:

Like Magellan, not to be a smart-aleck, but trying to get more power out of a 4-stroke is going to cost a lot of money.

I hate to say it, but since the ride height is the same, you may want to trade or sell your 250 and go get a 450X if you really want the X series (so do I, actually), that's the kind of riding I do, too.

TreeTalker

May 8, 2004
I also have a 250x. I'm far from being a pro rider, so for me right now the stock power is good. But like you I have been thinking about trying to get some more power out of my machine. I have done some research in this area the last few weeks. I have to change out my piston anyways, so I thought I might as well look into a bore kit. "Water and oil don't mix real well in the engine" lol

I have found out that yes I can get a bore kit for the 250x and yes you have to split the case to put it in. As far as I can find out a bore kit will only increase the horse power about 5 to 10 horse power. Now I have yet to chat with anyone who has actually put one on a crf250x. So this is just a guess on the part of a few different mechs. Seeing as I have to spend the money to put in a new piston anyways, it doesn't cost to much more to buy a bore kit. I will try it out just as soon as I get the time and money to make these changes. I don't want to change the pipe, I like to hear myself think when I am riding. Besides don't think a pipe would gain more than a few horses, not worth the damage to my hearing or others I ride with.
I don't want the added weight of the 450x, nor do I need ALL THAT HORSEPOWER....I would just hit trees at a faster speed..OUCH. lol I will post to you just as soon as I make the change and let you know how it turns out. I hope to just have a little more power on the top end for those fast sections in 4th and 5th gear. Good luck with your search, Lee

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
The bike has it's limitations but the rideability factor is way up there. You can change out the timing and cam to the R specs, but you lose the bottom end power somewhat. It has a better hit with the R setup so it depends on where you mainly ride it. If you ride the track, then the X model is not really for you. It's fine on the track but the R is better suited for it. You will not get the big bore power out of it for deep sandy stuff, but everywhere else you'll be fine. I changed out the needle and jets and emission block off, CA model, and it woke the bike up alot. You can usually hang with the bigger bikes for the most part but on long straights and big uphills, you'll suffer a bit. Forces you to be a better corner and tight trail rider guy. Good luck

Top Bottom